Buying ram for new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markp9114, Apr 13, 2010.

1. markp9114 macrumors member

Doesn't everyone say to not upgrade ram from apple's store options because it's overpriced? I just checked how much it would cost to upgrade the core i7 17" MBP and its +$400 for 8GB. I've researched for 8GB ram online, and i'm getting higher prices. Am I looking at the wrong places? Where is a good site to order reliable ram from that is cheaper then apple?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Wow, this hasn't come up in the last two hours (or maybe more).

The price difference is explained like this:

At Apple you buy a 4GB MBP, for xyz€ you get 8GB, but you only pay for the difference, which is 4GB.

At any other place you actually buy 8GB for more than xyz€, and still have the 4GB you got with the MBP, which you can either sell or keep.

3. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Does apple ram sell fairly easily? That's what i would be worried about since this is my first apple purchase. I wouldnt have use for the original ram so I would like to get it off my hands easily

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple uses normal RAM like everyone else, but you might only get a 100€ for the 2 x 2GB sticks. It is advised to keep the original RAM in case you have to send the machine back to Apple due to some kind of hardware problem, as Apple might replace the 8GB after market RAM with the machine RAM it should have come with, which is 4GB.

You can look at eBay for used prices.

5. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

good to know. thanks for the information! :)

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2