Buying RAM vs Installing RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SusieN56, Oct 22, 2007.

1. SusieN56 macrumors newbie

I have been eagerly awaiting buying my first MacBook. I have waited for Leopard, and am willing to wait to make sure nothing hardware related will be released in November.

As it stands, I was going to purchase a 2.16 with an instore RAM upgrade, but after reading many posts, I question whether I should install the RAM myself - 2 GB is 150 dollars at the store.

Yes / No ?? And if so, where to get it from, and is it reasonably easy to do. I have installed wireless cards and parallel ports internally on Windows PCs, so I am fairly confident I could do it, but for ease, is the store a better choice?

Thanks
    Susanne

2. mwsh2000 macrumors newbie

I'd probably do it myself

Apple gives instructions here

It seems pretty simple to do with the Macbooks. I've added RAM to my PowerMac, and that was pretty simple as well. I bought my RAM from Crucial, who seems to be a recommended brand on these boards, and it has worked flawlessly. I hope this was helpful :).

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you've installed and AirPort card you can install RAM. No question, do it yourself.

4. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Adding ram in a macbook is trivial, get a 2Gb+1GB combo from newegg and save money.

5. munckee macrumors 65816

DIY. It's really not a big deal. A few screws, a couple of levers and you're done.

6. hatbrox macrumors member

what about the new iMac?

I also want to buy one of their new imacs. (first time I'll get a mac!!!!)
    I want to order the 2.4 Ghz 24" and then upgrade the processor and the hard disk but not the ram because it's really very expensive.
    can I take out the default 1 Gb and put my own 2*2gb?

Thanks for your answers

7. hatbrox macrumors member

8. Nordichund macrumors 6502

That´s exactly what I did with my new iMac. I ordered my 2gb stick of ram from Crucial and it works brilliantly on my 2,8 ghz machine which came with a 1gb stick.

The only thing to watch out for is making sure you have the correct philips screwdriver and remembering that the screw only needs to be turned a few times, it does not screw out all the way, you have to then pull out the cover using your fingers. It really is very simple.
    Good luck.

9. Hobbit macrumors member

The last time i tried to upgrade my macbook's ram i didn't get rid of the static electricity in my body and killed the laptop. Luckily it was still under warranty and the nice man in the Apple store changed the logic board (i think) and fixed the problem.

Also, Apple store would not agree to fix your laptop for free underwarranty if it contains 3rd party ram. The advice i got from an Apple worker is to keep the original apple ram to put it in the laptop in the event i need my laptop to be fixed.

In summary 2 warnings from me:
    1) don't forget to discharge the static electricity from your body before you change the ram.

2) Keep the original ram just in case you need to put it back in the laptop if you need to take it back to Apple.

Good luck.