Buying RAM - Which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CitiXen, Mar 9, 2009.

1. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

I am buying a new MBP 15" 2.4 and I want to upgrade the RAM right away. I have seen
    Multiple brands suggested and different latencies on the forums. I want quality reliable RAM but not sure what kind I should go with or where to buy. Any input and suggestions would be appreciated.

2. MacGeekPro macrumors newbie

Hey mate, Why don't you just get 4 or 8GB off Apple?

Nice choice of Mac too! :)

Yoshi

3. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

Apple seems to charge more for the same or similar upgrade of RAM. Is the MBP 15" capable if running 8gb of RAM?

4. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

Crucial, OWC -- both good and have comfortable return policies.
    Newegg also recommended.
    Fry's or MicroCenter if you live near one.

I've bought a lot of different ram -- found that who you buy it from is of more importance than what you buy. Some places make it very hard to return bad ram if you need to.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's common knowledge that Apple overcharges for RAM.

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this page:

6. bruf macrumors member

Ram

Get one of these, all work great with unibody MBP...

2x Kingston KVR1066D3S7/2G
    2x Corsair CM3X2GSD1066
    2x Crucial CT25664BC1067

ncixus.com/products/1319/566/DDR3%20Notebook%20Memory/DDR3-1066/

or in Canada..

ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35351&vpn=CT25664BC1067&manufacture=CRUCIAL%20TECHNOLOGY&promoid=1065

Good luck,

7. James Cole macrumors 6502

Dont get apple they will pull your pants down...

I got OWC once... excellent price, fast shipping... and it worked.

So check them

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

9. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

10. jagr200 macrumors member

I am also looking to upgrade the RAM on my 15.4" 2.4 MacBook Pro I just got. But the book says I have to use PC3-8500 DDR3 1066 MHz 200-PIN. I am most worried about the number of pins because I can only find 204-PIN RAM and not the 200-PIN RAM. Will 204-PIN RAM work?

11. FlashGordon7 macrumors newbie

Just bought myself some RAM from Crucial. Definitely a good supplier. Upgraded from 2GB to 4GB. The crucial website has a download which scans your MBP and tells you exactly what RAM you need. Cost me about £45 for the 2x2GB chips. Nice :)

12. Momofthree macrumors member

according to the apple support forum it is a 204 pin that is required:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1868122&tstart=30

I also checked at Crucial and it's 204 pin.

13. xoggyux macrumors 6502

dont pay apple tax, not only is way cheaper to buy from somebody else, but you can sell your old modules on ebay or something or save for a cheap laptop or whatever who knows...:

Go for kingston (my recomendation) or OWC (I have never tried this one but people like it) do not buy crucial (I bought once, big mistake, it worked just fine, just as slow as 2GB) as for latency anything lower than 7ms (for DDR3) is OK, in fact so far I have not seen lower than that, and for DDR 5ms or lower (mine is 5ms kingston and works like a charm.) Dont upgrade to 8GB since the system is uncapable of taking advantage of that much ram even if it did recognized the whole ammount, besides 8GB ~$300, six months from now, if snow leopard can take more advantage of that much ram, you could upgrade again which by then will cost less than $100,

14. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

So does anyone else have experience with Crucial RAM working, but not working very well as described above? Reason I ask is I just bought some Crucial ram for a UMBP and now I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake

15. POX macrumors member

POX

It´s the hyperx kit cl5, like this on the picture?

[​IMG]

It wasn´t cheap I supose, the thickness of the metal heatspreader it´s not an problem on MBP?

16. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Hold on guys, I'm not so sure about that. Historically, that is definitely the case. And if you buy RAM from Apple later on down the road, they charge an arm and a leg. But, if you upgrade to 4GB at the time of purchase, Apple's rates are quite competitive, only $100 for 4GB installed. Sure you can get it from Crucial for $65, but by the time you add on shipping, the right sized phillips screwdriver (wouldn't call 0 a common size) and your time spent installing it, I say just let Apple do it. Check it here.

17. Momofthree macrumors member

I would have loved to have bought from Apple themselves...of course when I did (just 2 weeks ago) they weren't offering 12 mths no interest ... which they are now. Anyhow, for those of us who bought else where, we have to buy else were also and can't go that route! :p

18. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Nope i bought the "value" one for $39 shipping included (don't be deceived with the value portion, its fast.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134578

however I later found this one, I dont know if it performs well or if its reliable but most likely it is since is CL4 instead (I did not buy this one simply because did not find it.)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134661

I heard someone complaining about the "waiting cursor" beach ball becoming crazy on safari whit that ran, though I did not realize until I read that post I have to admit it happened to me also. Simply crucial sux, ram is cheap no matter the brand so dont go for crucial for just 2-3 savings.

OK, OK apple have done right in lowering the prices of ram, $100 for many people wont worth opening the case and waiting until the ram is shipped. However you can get (DDR3) laptop ram for as low as $50 (thats 50% off, and usually shipping is either free or less than $5 really) the screwdriver is $1 at most!! (not to mention is always handy to have one, so its not like you buy the screwdriver and you lose your money, you buy it and you keep it for future needs, thats if you dont have any already) and switching the ram is a 5min task so unless you get paid $600 (5min ~= $50 saving so 1 min ~= $10 so 1hour = 60min x $10 = $600) an our it worth doing the upgrade yourself. Furthermore if you do the upgrade yourself you can choose what ram to use, I am not fanatic, for me if it works fine I take it, but some people do preffer one ram or one component over other, furthermore you get to keep the 2GB old memory that can be sold at least for $20.

19. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Well, I just bought 8gb (2x4gb) of Crucial Ram for my 17' UMBP. Do you recommend I return it and get something like OWC?

20. jagr200 macrumors member

From what I have heard Crucial is great RAM. I just put OWC RAM in my MBP and I love it. Works great so far. So either way I'm sure you will be okay.

21. sm0 macrumors regular

Hi

Has anybody used Corsair (CM3X2GSD1066) or Transcend (JM1066KSU-2G) memory in their Unibody MBP? I would get the Crucial stuff but its not cost effective to get in NZ...

Cheers