Buying refurb-Any signs of use?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by interairproxima, Aug 18, 2007.

1. interairproxima macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying a refurb macbook pro, but I'm wondering if the case will be scuffed or scratched, or if it will look dirty or anything. Does anyone have any experience with refurbs?
    Thanks in advance.

2. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

I've only been here a month, and already I know this gets asked all the time. From what I've read, Apple will replace the case if it's very worn. I can imagine you might have very minor scratching (which happens sometimes even with new machines.) Keep in mind that a lot of refurbs are new machines that people just either took back due to buyer's remorse or what have you.

3. madhatress macrumors newbie

I bought a refurb Macbook (white) in May and it looked brand new! It also works perfectly. I haven't had any problems with it. IMO, it is worth it, if you are looking to save some $$$. :D

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you should check out apple's page on refurbished products. they go through a "cleaning" process. you might see scratches here and there, but i'm sure you can do something about it if it's severe enough. the majority of people here on these forums have nothing but high praise for refurbished products. good luck on your purchase.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

... and, from what I've gathered, if you buy a refurb of a previous model soon after a new model release, quite often what you get isn't a refub but unsold inventory. I guess it's the luck of the draw though.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You may see slight signs of use. If there is any scratches, dents, or things of that nature Apple will replace the case. I think worse case scenario would be some finger smudges. Any refurb I have gotten from Apple was just like new, except for the plain brown box.

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I sent my ipod in for battery warranty and I got a refurb back with a brand new never used case. I assume Apple only refurbs the hardware inside and slaps a brand new shell on it, its easier and probably costs less for the small things like laptops and ipods than to pay workers to recondition them.

8. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I've bought a nano and a mbp. Both looked brand new. Pristine.

9. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I agree with all the above, apart from the big brown box it came in, it's identical to a brand new item. With the added bonus that it's been vetted, any defect that could have been in it has already been addressed and repaired in the refurb process, meaning, I think, that you are less likely to get a buff machine.

10. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I'll tell you tomorrow

I'm expecting a refurbed MBP tomorrow, a route I took because a couple of my friends have recently purchased multiple refurbed Macs for work & family, and are very happy - the machines were pristine, just like new.

I got a refurbed 5g ipod last year and it was perfect. But had a problem last week with it (wouldn't turn off) and an Apple Genius fixed it by resetting the software (it was still within the year warranty). He would have given me a new one if he couldn't solve the problem.

With the protection of the warranty, you risk nothing, and you end up saving a lot of money. Refurb is the biggest secrect of Mac insiders.

11. Bodie macrumors member

Re: Apple Refurbished

I bought a refurbished G4 MDD three and a half years ago and a refurbished Nano three months ago and both were pristine. No scratches or marks of any kind. Only the packaging was different. My ViewSonic monitor is 10 years old so one of these days It will need replacing. Probably with a 23" cinema display -- refurbished of course.

12. moez macrumors regular

Also when I bought my refurb BlackBook, I got 2GB of RAM instead of the advertised 1GB (the invoice and stuff said 1GB) so you even maybe lucky in the memory department like I was :D:D

13. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Got my Refurb - report

Okay, I've examined my MBP closely and done a PixelCheck and looked everywhere for that yellowish tint. As far as I can tell, this machine is PERFECT. :) Condition is A+, no stuck/dead pixels, no misalignment of the case, no signs of prior use at all. :D:D

I'm just kicking myself for buying new in the past - what a deal!

14. markoibook macrumors regular

Indeed - same here! I recently bought a 2.16GHz Macbook and its got 2GB RAM instead of 1!!! That said, its luck of the draw there.
    My Macbook had a few little marks, but nothing more than what you'd get after a few weeks of use. I have 1 dead pixel too, but hey it doesn't notice at all and well my brand new G3 iBook had a stuck pixel anyway - and was much more annoying!

I also have a refurb PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz and that was perfect - and I saved about £400-500 too!
    And to add to that my 2G iPod refurbish was brand new in box when I got it a few years back, and we've just got a refurb Macbook for my brother - and that seems perfect too.

In short, I'd recommend refurb all the way - I've bought several refurb apple products and the savings are fab.

Not just that but bear in mind that all apple refurb products are checked again before they leave - so they've had more attention than new products.

I must say that before we got the refurb macbook for my brother, we had bought another refurb one for him - but it had a dodgy hinge. A call to apple and back it went. Just ordered another. They did say that it should have never have left in that state, and the second one we got was perfect, so no worries.

15. shayesky macrumors member

refurbs are da bomb

I buy nothing but refurbs, never had an issue with them, ever. My new
    MBP, had to send it to Apple twice for repair. Buying refurb or open
    box is a great way to save on upgrade costs! :cool:

16. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Sometimes the refurbs will come with an unexpected bonus, such as extra RAM.

17. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

further report

I just hooked my refurbed MBP to a 23" ACD and the new Apple keyboard. The display is giving me vertigo, it's so much bigger than the 15" screens I'm used to. All are operating perfectly. (The ACD is not refurb)

So far, I love the keyboard - it's easy to type on, very solid touch and accurate, yet so light it's hardly noticeable on my knee. It does seem narrower than the others, and that might cause undesirable ergonomic issues. But maybe it's a matter of getting used to something different...

18. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

Refurbs are the best

Just opened my mbp refurb yesterday. A bonus they didn't list on the site: Aperature PREINSTALLED baby!!! Hahahahaha! Thanks Apple! And, it's brand new, no scratchie, even smells new.
    :) Wohoo!