Buying refurb Apple Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by any-key, Aug 27, 2013.

1. any-key macrumors member

Hi,

I am looking to buy a refurb 27" Apple TBD. Up to now I had a couple other Apple products from the refurb store. All without any issues.

But to decide if I go with the Display I went to check them out in the next Apple Store. While discussing with one of the employees there he said that he wouldnt buy a refurb TBD because the refurb displays are most likely one of the sample displays from the Apple stores that run 24/7. So he said I should really go for a new one.

What do you guys think? Would there be smth wrong buying a refurb TBD from Apple? Do they have a higher chance to fail after the 1 year warrenty period?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd be very surprised if you got anything other than an A1 ACD. Apple refurbs, as you've found yourself are a great way to save money and if you aren't happy you can swap it out.

3. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I'm typing this out on my mac with my refurb 24" LED Cinema display that seems to be working just fine after several years of use.

I wouldn't worry. :)

4. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

I doubt they are store displays

And with a new tbd probably coming out soon I wouldn't pay over 700 total max for a refurb

5. any-key thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what I was thinking and why I am looking at the refurb display.

Sounds good. So even if I would get one used as a display unit in the Store I should be fine. Wondering why the guy at the Apple Store was talking so negatively about the refurb displays though.

Why wouldn't they be Store displays?

Any rumors/hints on a new display coming up this year? I am not in a hurry to buy. So I could wait for another month or so.

6. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

Some of the refurbs could be store displays, in that case I would not buy one.

I've been following the displays closely for about a year and my educated guess is it will be updated with the mac pro update

7. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

TBH, when I received my 24", it looked brand new. I mean, perfect. The only way I could tell it was a refurb was the brown box that it came in. It even made me wonder if this wasn't refurbished, but simply clearing out old stock.

8. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Shady tactics.....

from the Apple employee. Nobody knows for sure the exact origin of a refurb item. Can be a store display, tough....But is more possible to be a returned unit. Anyway, you have a year to try it out.....But, if a refresh is coming, maybe you can hold a little and ending with a new, shiny one.....:D

:):apple:

9. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Just curious why are you buying a refurb display from Apple, when you can get a high quality 27" Dell Ultrasharp new for about the same amount? (Should last longer than a refurb.) This is not to say that the Apple 27" display isn't nice.

Cheers

10. any-key thread starter macrumors member

Even though the Dell is technically a good Display I personally really dont like the design of the Dell Ultrasharps.

Actually the only other Display I liked design wise was the Samsung SB970. But as this is as expensive a s the Apple TBD I can go for the TBD right away.

Thanks for your feeback anyways. I think I'll wait a little longer and see if Apple will refresh the displays soon.

11. blanka macrumors 68000

Just get a Dell U2713HM, new, with 3yr warranty for 500-600 bucks. cheaper and better display (24p support for example, nice if you're into video).
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-dell-u2713hm-part10.html

----------

I just decase ugly screens. Without the plastic, they are all nice minimalistic galvanized steel boxes that fit on any VESA mount.
    And besides, the design of a screen bothers for maybe 10 seconds. Then you forget about it.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I own two refurb Thunderbolts. Completely satisfied.

The store display doesn’t make much sense. If it’s still working, why not keep it in the store? If it stops working, why not repair and put back in the store rather than having to take a brand new one out of stock?

Now when they replace the current model with a new one, there may be some store displays in the refurb.

A lot of people - maybe 10% - buy things and return them although they’re in perfect working order for all kinds of reasons. That’s primarily where the refurbs come from, and that’s why they’re generally such a good deal. They went out perfect, came back perfect, and went back out even more perfect.

13. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

I have one about a month old and other than the box it came in looks like a brand new one.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Hmm... What possible motive might an Apple store employee have for encouraging a customer to buy something available in-store in lieu of something sold online... :D