Buying Refurb iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luked06, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Luked06 macrumors newbie

I am looking to take the big step from the PC world into the mac world (My iPhone convinced me). i was looking to buy a Refurb iMac. I was just wondering if i wait to buy one until Leopard is released, will that OS come loaded on the Refurb model? or will it be Tiger? Also how long will the previous gen iMac be pumping through the refurb page, i know it does not take long for a new model to reach the refurb page, and i am looking for only a 17" screen. Thanks for the input in advance!!

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I bought a refurb just after Tiger was released. My Mac came with Panther loaded and a Tiger DVD and instructions on how to load Tiger. This was made clear on the website before I placed the order.

They likely will do the same this time. There is a small window of time when the old OS will still be loaded. But refurbs tunover quick. The window may only be a couple weeks.

The "standard advice" is always "If you need a computer now buy a computer now -- If you don't need a computer don't buy a computer."

If you really do want a 17" and you can't use a 20" then buy the first 17" imac you see as it may be the last you will see. They are discontinued, not made any more. You can gamble that they might fall in price and wait but they could be gone tomorrow too. I just snatched up the last 24" white imac the store had and got a great deal, $800 off. I would not have bought any of the new models due to the mirror-like screen

3. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

I am in the same situation.

Are the chances of getting a machine with issues less with refurbs? If I get a refurb with something wrong (e.g. noisy fans) is the only option to try to get it fixed by a genius?

Do they ever sell refurbs that come with custom options, for instance a 2.33 GHz processor on an old white iMac ?

4. BennyK macrumors 6502

I dont think I remember ever seeing a CTO refurb

5. smurfy macrumors member