Buying refurb in Apple stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shackler, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I've read it once on this forum but its very rare (very YMMV). It wasn't really a refurb, more like a "opened box but never used" macbook.

3. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

Yea I've seen open box sales at apple stores from time to time but thats it.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Open box is often referred to as refresh. They are 10% restocking fee open box that are resold after a wipe of the drive at the 10% off price. Refurbs are not available at retail stores, only online.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I couldn't think of that word (refresh) when I had originally posted but you're right about the rest.

6. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Go to a store and ask a manager-- they have demo units that are no longer on the floor, buyer remorse returns, etc...they just don't advertise it-- not just computers but ipods, iphones, speakers....-- can't hurt to ask?

7. mashinhead macrumors 68020

yes that's what you want to ask for a 'refreshed' machine. You can just call your local store and ask if they have any. My machine is a refreshed one.

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

So you were able to get 10% off ... or more? No issues with yours?

9. mashinhead macrumors 68020

yea it was about that. it was 2.33 top of the line mbp at the time ($2400 ithink). I got if for around 2100. which was 100 more than the refurb. I originally ordered a refurb and it arrived damaged so i returned it and got this one. The advantage is you can see it at the store before you buy and check it out. but yea its fine i still have it and use it everyday.