Buying refurb Macbook Pro: Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Theteapartyvip, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Theteapartyvip macrumors newbie

I have been looking into buying a Mac for a couple of years now but I have been waiting for my dell to die. I mainly want a Mac because I make youtube videos and I would much rather use iMovie than Vegas or pinnacle. I want to downsize to a 13” (from a 15”) and attach a dell 21” monitor when I am at home and editing. In researching the Macbook Pro I have found that the base model will probably suit my needs. My question is: Is buying a refurb 2010 model a bad idea for what I want to do? (Australian student, incredibly poor) I specifically had this one in mind: http://store.apple.com/au/product/FC374X/A?mco=MTgwOTc3Mjg

Programs I need to be able to run
    -Office Student
    -iMovie and possibly later Final cut express
    -Photoshop for gif making (however this is optional)
    -Garageband and later possibly Logic Express

I don't mind if it isn't superfast, but i don't want 5 minute long lags. Thank you!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

A refurb 2010 will work great for you. Good choice over used as you get the full warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Yes, refurb will do. When I had my refurb MB I was happy with it. Saved a lot of money with it.

5. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

I recommend buying a refurb. It'll be good for what you need and you save a little coin too.

6. Lioncrazz macrumors member

I recommend Mac refurbs as well. Got my MB three years ago and it still works flawlessly.

7. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I third the motion. My first mac purchase was a refurbished MacBook in 2008, my parents are still using it. Only real difference between new an refurbished is packaging and price.

8. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

9. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have purchased 7 refurbs over the years for friends and family, all are running perfectly, buy with confidence :cool:

10. Theteapartyvip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys so much

Thank you for instilling my confidence in refurbs, they are so much cheaper and therefore easier for me to buy, I'm glad they're worth it.