Buying Refurbish MBP-Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alphonsus, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Alphonsus macrumors member

So I am 16, and I am buying a new computer. Because I missed the sale for the DELL XPS 15 (16gb ram, 512 ssd) I am now thinking about buying a MBP. This computer will last me my Senior year and hopefully at least my 4 years of college. I have always used PC my whole life but my parents and sister have Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. The Macbook Pro are expensive but I have recently found out about the refurbish option!

I am thinking about getting the touch bar which will be a total of $1624(w/tax). The one without it will be $1348.

Can you only buy the refurbish laptops from online?

I know the WWDC is in a few days and was wondering should I wait for the MBP early 2017 to come to the Refurbish store? or should I just buy the computer now? How long will it take for a refurbish early 2017 MBP to arrive at the store?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

The only real safe way to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro is directly from the Apple refurbished store. Those are fully warranted and can even be warranty extended with Apple Care. Don't be fooled by "so - called" refurbished Macs that you might see on eBay or some other site. As far as waiting for a not yet released 2017 MacBook Pro to show up in the Apple refurbished store, that may take awhile.

3. Alphonsus thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah, I am definetly buying from the Apple Store. But can you only by online? Can you get refurbish models in store?

4. csurfr macrumors 6502a

Refurbished models can only be purchased from the online store. That said, Apple offers free shipping and it's usually in your hands within two days.

The only difference I have seen with the refurb MacBook Pro is the box it comes in. Plain white and says "Apple Certified Refurbished" on it. Everything else is the same.

5. Alphonsus thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I know that part! Did a lot of reading on different websites and watching YouTube.

Should I wait for the new laptops on the Refurbish online store?

6. csurfr macrumors 6502a

That's a question only you can answer. I would think that the 2016 price would drop a bit if new models are released Monday. My guess is that the new models will be in store same day, but refurbished will certainly take a few months.

For college use, any of the current machines should get you through without issue.

7. Alphonsus thread starter macrumors member

I definitely will wait for Monday but yeah I will just have to wait and see.

The only thing that wards me off from the MBP is that I do game however not the popular titles. I play Contract wars and Robocraft but judging by the needs of those game the MBP should handle them after all the computer I used to game had a 4th gen i3 and 4 GB ram

8. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

I would wait until after the 2017 models are released. You might even get a better price drop on the refurbished models.

9. Alphonsus thread starter macrumors member