Buying Refurbished: Do I upgrade separately, or..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Guerodemonio, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Guerodemonio, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

Guerodemonio macrumors newbie

What's up guys hopefully THX for the advice..

I'm trying to figure out which refurbished imac I should go with:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB952LL/A?mco=MTU2MzE1ODI

or

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC510LL/A?fnode=Njc4MjQzOQ&mco=MTkwMzU2NTQ

I want to be able to play games on this badboy on bootcamp version of Win7 so I want at least 512-1gb video card, and probly 8gb of ram.

Should I buy the cheaper one and upgrade the ram and video card myself? Or buy the more expensive one and upgrade the fewer remaining parts? What OTHER parts need replacing to run topnotch games very well?

Anything else I should be aware of?

I want to go the less expensive route but I don't want to short myself on the value of the purchase overall.

***edit: I will run my business on this computer as well. Fully forgot to mention that. Web design, html, photoshop, etc.

Cheers fellas (and gals?),
    Jon

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are wanting to run top notch games, do yourself a favor and don't buy an iMac at all
    You will be much happier with a less expensive PC with higher specs

3. Guerodemonio thread starter macrumors newbie

hey dude thx for the quick response. I didn't mention I'll be running a business off the comp as well. I edited the OP

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The only thing in an iMac that is readily upgradeable (and which won't void your warranty if you do it) is the RAM.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would pay the slight bit more to get the i3 with the better video card (note that you can't upgrade the video card unless you manage to find a better one that Apple used in that same model, they're not standard PCIe cards), then just upgrade the RAM yourself.

jW

6. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

No contest, i3 machine. Go i5 if you can afford it, nearly nothing in these things is upgradeable.

7. Guerodemonio thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok..

I'm definitely comparing i3's vs i5's now.

I'm pretty sure I want a 1gb video card (will this really make a difference vs a 512 graphics card?)

.. and I like the multi-tasking capability of the i5 because I run my business on it.

You guys are seriously knowledgeable thx for takin' the time