Buying REFURBISHED?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lasermn, May 9, 2009.

1. lasermn macrumors newbie

Have you had a good or bad experience in purchasing a 'REFURBISHED' computer from an Apple Store.

Does anyone know what goes into 'refurbishing' a computer

Specifically, the 24" IMAC's are being sold at a 13% discount, $200 off the retail price.

Are you hot or cold on buying a refurbished computer? I'm asking for information & your opinions, as I'm undecided on whether to buy new or refurbished?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would buy a refurbished if you can. They look brand new, are discounted, and come with the same warranty, and are treated like they are brand new. If you need to save money this is the way to go.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Bought a refurb mini nearly 2 years ago. It was in mint condition. Never gave me any trouble.

4. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Read this: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

And they don't mention it there, but they do in the New Zealand refurbished section due to our consumer laws - a refurbished Mac may have minor cosmetic faults ie scratches/discolouration, and you would have a hard time returning a refurbished unit as a result of this.

Pasted here for the lazy people:

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I bought a refurbished G4 laptop (TiBook) direct from Apple in 2001. My ex has it now and it still runs fine. Most refurbished systems have had whatever bug sent them back in the first place fixed, and are usually good bets. But then that doesn't seem to be the case with the OP.

6. iBadger macrumors member

I just bought a refurb macbook. I visually inspected every detail of the laptop, not a single scratch or mark to show any wear.

7. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

My next Mac (probably 3 years) will for sure be refurbished. You can save so much money and get the same exact product, just used... but it will seem brand new.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that! :)

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Definitely HOT for refurbished. I bought my mac pro refurbished and it's been awesome, I also have a refurbished iPod nano which as far as I can tell is brand new.

I would absolutely recommend refurbished to you. No sense in buying a new mac and not save $$ unless you're using an ADC or educational discount.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Another +1 for refurb, bought my MBP as a refurb a couple of weeks ago and it's perfect, no marks or anything and runs great. Well worth the savings.

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I have two refurbed products (MBP and AEBS), and am completely satisfied with both purchases. Better prices than the education discount (except for the BTS deal), and other than the difference in packaging, it's like buying a brand new machine.

12. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I bought a refurbished MacBook Air (revision A) online in February. Since then I've had the logic board and battery replaced. The last straw was when my microphone stopped working (it actually may have never worked to begin with, who knows).

The Genius Bar hooked me up with a revision B Air so no complaints here. Most refurbs are thoroughly inspected and sold in pristine condition. I just got unlucky with a lemon. But in the end I scored a brand new, current generation MacBook Air for $1099 Canadian. Not bad if you ask me.

13. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I just got my refurbished macbook air (rev a) and it was in perfect condition! I couldn't tell it from a new unit, and it made me regret paying full price when i bought my powerbook years ago. when I get my imac in september, to compliment the air, i will be buying it from the refurb store as well.

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I've always had very good luck with Apple Refurbs. No bad experiences here.

Calm it down to about a 4, kay??

15. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Bought a refurbished ATI MBP 6 months ago for a very good price - had to send it back twice early on - once because the battery would not be detected and other time for cosmetic issues. But third time was the charm - this one is working OK till now.

So I would say its a hit or miss - but as long as you carefully inspect it for issues when you receive it Apple treats it as a new computer for all practical purposes and so you could get a replacement until you are satisfied.

16. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Rather than start a new thread, I'd like to hijack this one a little.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a refurbished mac sent to an applestore for pick up? I'd like to get a refurbished macbook air, but I'm currently on tour with my band, and won't be near an address to have it shipped to for close to 2 months.

Any idea? I know most stores don't stock refurbished units. Which is a shame, but I'd rather not have to wait until the end of the tour to get a new laptop, and the iPhone isn't quite up to replacing a laptop.