Buying Remorse and Regrets

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tills24, May 12, 2010.

1. tills24 macrumors member

There's a lot of "which MBP, 13 or 15", "15 or 17", etc, questions, and everyone has their reasons and advice on which to get for what usage. My question is more experience based. Has anyone gotten a 13, and wished they went with the 15, gotten a 15 wished they got the 17, gotten a 15 wished they got the 13, etc.
    I am 90% sure I'll get the 13 over the 15 once the BTS event begins, but if anyone has stories of regrets, please share.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't make an intelligent decision based on other peoples' opinions. Each person's needs and preferences are different. Someone may buy the 15" and opt to swap it for a 13", to have something more portable because they travel extensively. Someone else may do the reverse because they need more screen real estate.

You have to decide what YOU want, then make a decision. You can listen to opinions all day long, but the only opinion that counts in making a buying decision is yours. None of the people offering opinions in here are going to have to live day to day with your Mac; you are! If you want to avoid buying remorse and regrets, don't listen to everyone else and instead, listen to yourself.

3. MacAir78 macrumors newbie

I have for over 3 years a 13", for the moment a MCA and I'm very happy with the screen but for a use at home I will be getting an iMac 27". You have to think about the fact if you're planning on using your mac a lot at home than perhaps a bigger screen, I would go for the 15" and buy an extra screen if you still want something bigger. A 17" inch isn't very portable in my opinion. The main reason people choose a 13" is because it's a bit more portable but not that much more if compare it with a 15" unless you opt for a Macbook Air like I did. It all depends on what you like and if you have some friends who own different macs 13", 15",17" just borrow them and try them out at home if that's your main working area. It's different then just trying them out in the store but that's my opinion.

By the way if you're planning to buy a Macbook Air, choose the high end model. I have the 2.13 version and I'm waiting for hopefully an update of the model in june.

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I disagree. I think this is a very valid question. For example, I love the late 2009 13" and wouldn't have preferred the 15" My only possible remorse is that I didn't get the faster processor. At the time I reasoned that the cost/performance wasn't worth it. But I do video editing and it would have made a difference. I got an SSD recently and that's been a great upgrade.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

But that's just your opinion. The OP may have different needs and preferences than you. I wouldn't buy a 13" notebook. I have different needs, as does everyone else. If the OP bases a buying decision on your preferences, they are more likely to end up regretting that choice than they would if they based it on their own needs and wants.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I'm with Sirmausalot, GGJStudios.

I agree with what you say, too, about preferences and the like.

But my take on the OP's question was that he (or she) is worried about having neglected to think about something.

Who among us hasn't done that? I don't think I've ever asked for regrets while asking for advice, but it seems like a good idea to me -- in the collecting-data stage.

7. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

Yep I returned my 13" MBP after one month because I couldn't justify myself spending $1200 for it. And so I got the iPad instead.

8. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I agree with GGJ. I like the smallness(?) of my 13 inch, but a lot of people on here would hate it and think it was slow and clunky. I don't care, it does what I need it for, and can even run some heavy apps like games.

9. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Perhaps it's because there are so many similar threads on this topic right now, but I tend to agree with GGJStudios on this one.

At a certain point, your own usage and preferences will trump anything else anyone has to say. You can't constantly worry that you haven't thought of something to ask. Maybe you haven't thought about Issue X because Issue X has no bearing on your own computer life. I've heard people saying that they've gotten a bigger screen Macbook Pro because they do a lot of Photoshop work. That's a completely valid reason to go for a larger screen. But because I personally do little-to-no Photoshop work, so even though it's a valid concern and someone may have regrets about not getting a larger screen, it is irrelevant to me.

I just think putting out a broad question like "do you have regrets?" doesn't really get you anywhere. You've got to narrow it down at least little bit. At least say "I'm thinking of getting X computer to do A, B, and C. Does anyone who also bought X computer have regrets?"

For what it's worth, I have regrets that I got a 13-inch Macbook. I sometimes wish I gotten an iMac, because I notice that I have a tendency to sit on the sofa and surf all day on my Macbook instead of reading books or exercising or doing other important things. This is a real regret for me and it may mean that my next computer will be a desktop. I'm less inclined to sit all day in front of a desktop computer. And I wonder if the portability is worth the time that I've wasted screwing around on message boards :) The Macbook is a great computer, the problem is me and my usage, not the computer itself.

Now, does that *really* have any relevance at all for the OP? I would suspect not. And that's okay, because I'm not him, he's not me, etc.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I switched after 3 years from a 15" powerbook to a unibody 13" and didn't feel like I missed anything.

11. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

just buy whatevers ''on" your heart. sounds corny but just buy it. youll start debating and stressing yourself for about 2 weeks... then slowly, youll move on with you life.

edit:
    i have a lot of 'regret' getting the 15. but then at the same time, if i got a 13 or 17, i wouldve had OTHER regrets anyways... life isnt perfect.

12. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

I bought the 15" MBP about a year ago, loved the screen size (hated the glare!), but the thing seemed HUGE after a few years on a 12.1" macbook. It was also pretty heavy, and didn't fit my computer bag (seemed much more like a typical 17")

I returned it for a 13" and am very happy (except for the ridiculous high-gloss :mad:).

I use it frequently for presentations and realized with the 15" that most projectors can't handle the resolution, so I was effectively paying for screen size I would only use half the time.

(I think the PERFECT size MBP would be 14")

13. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I thought I would always pine for a 13" MBP...

but these days with the work I am doing and such, I REALLY appreciated the extra space on that 15" LCD. Being able to work on a document, and have a small quicktime movie open on the side while having a dictionary open under it...man. PERFECT.

14. niter macrumors 6502

You both have valid points. Yes, at the end of the day the person buying the computer has to decide what they want the most for THEIR uses. However, asking opinions is of great value. For instance, I am looking at a new computer and making the jump from the MacBook line to the MacBook Pro line. Do I want 13" or 15"....sure I want the 13" for size but I do not want to spend the money to find out the processor is not equipped to do what I need. Hence, I ask opinions to learn from others' experience.

15. tills24 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I know that it comes down to my decision, what I'll need out of the machine, what I'll use, etc. But my reason for posting was to get people's experiences, and see if any of those might come up for me, as well. As monokakata said, I'm more looking to see if anyone had any personal feelings of remorse that I'm not currently thinking of.
    Getting the 13" over the 15" (base of each) saves $600, but if in 2 or 3 years, I feel that it's not enough machine for me, and I want to upgrade again, was it smarter to shell the extra $ out now, versus having to buy a whole new machine later. Or if I go with the 15", will I feel that I really didn't "need" that much machine, and could have saved that extra money. Basically stories like that are what I am aiming for. Not to think someone's experience and use will mirror mine, but just more of food for thought. Especially seeing as how many "should I get X vs Y" posts there seem to be.

16. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Of course. But that's such a different question, it seems to me, than just asking broadly about regrets. Someone saying "I think I'm buying a Mac Pro on the market...my main uses are email, websurfing and iTunes" will elicit more valuable responses than someone who says I'm thinking of getting a Mac Pro, does anyone who has one have any regrets?

But let me say up front that 1. maybe I'm just grouchy because this question seems like it's asked a LOT and 2. I'm jealous that costs hardly ever seems to be a consideration when these questions are asked. There are more differences between a 13 inch and a 17 inch Macbook Pro than processor speed and screen size.

Frankly, I wish I were well off enough that I could just ask broadly about regrets without having to balance price considerations. Sure, I'd like all kinds of computer equipment, and maybe more expensive equipment than what I currently have would even be better for my needs, but if I can't afford it, it doesn't matter.

But enough of my problems. OP, I hope you're getting what you're looking for! To answer your question straightforwardly, I bought a 13 inch MBP because that's what I could afford at the time, and I've not regretted it a bit (except for the regret I mentioned earlier, which probably is of no concern to you.)

17. niter macrumors 6502

I hear ya and funnily enough I usually do not post the whole "cost" issues because I figure if I cannot afford x computer that knocks it right off of consideration for me. Period. However, I tend to ask the questions I ask mostly for cost reasons...I want the best "bang for the buck" that will last me for my needs as long as possible. Right now I am torn because I suspect the 15" MBP will be the best thing for me, but it is on the higher end of what I am willing to pay (and actually may exceed it making the choice simple) but creates another issue...I pick the smaller computer for portability and even with a smaller body size I still feel the need for a portable iPad. Do I sit around and ideally wish that there would be a school promo saying buy a laptop and get a sizable iPad discount vs. free iPod? Sure. It is not, nor ever will be reality so I just have to sort out what I can afford vs what I need. I want an iPad but I know that it is a spendy accessory for my old computer which I have to replace sooner than later....so I know I have to save my funds for a computer replacement in the near future. I am not sure even if I was in an economic position to buy both items that I would ever feel I could do so guilt free (but that is another issue entirely).

18. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

I don't have any regrets from purchasing the late 2009 MacBook Pro 13 inch last July. I'm actually very happy with its portability, although I don't actually carry it around a lot (in or out of my apartment).

When I took my laptop to the library to do my taxes in April, I had to download various tax forms/instructions and then put figures into a spreadsheet. Plus looking at helpful sites on the web. So there was a lot of switching applications. I don't think a 15 inch would've helped that much in this case.

My current regret (sort of) is that I bought a MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter. I'm still looking to buy a monitor, but I have limited myself to DVI input monitors unless I am willing to buy an HDMI adapter and not use the DVI adapter.

19. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I have a 13" MB and love it, but have always wanted a 17" MBP. Everybody is different and you have to figure out what is best for you.

20. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I currently have a 13", it has more screen real estate than I would have expected, but depending on the weight difference, I would probably get the 15", 17" would be too big.

21. Chew macrumors member

Got a 13". I love it, no, I don't want a 15" because it's significantly larger in my opinion. I got a beautiful neopren case for the 13" and find this all extremely handy. I'm at home right now and typing on my 13" MBP. I also have a PC with an 23" LED screen. At home, I would work on the PC, of course, but I just tried the new Steam on my MBP, this is why I typing on it right now. I have to say, of course, the 13" is much smaller than 23", but Mac OS arranges the availably space very well, I don't see myself craving for the larger display right now. I very happy with my 13" MBP. :D :apple:

22. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I'd say you agree completely :)