Buying Replacement iPad 2, what should I be aware of?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VXC, Jun 14, 2011.

1. VXC macrumors member

There's a seller on craigslist selling a 32gb wifi white iPad 2 for $100 under retail ($550). He said its a replacement iPad 2 so it does not come with a box. He gave me a serial number but since the iPad has not been registered in iTunes, the warranty information does not show up on apple.com

What else should I check for? Any scams out there? Just want to be sure I am getting a good iPad for my dad for Fathers Day.

Thanks for all your help.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Replacements via mail do come in a white box, just like the retail package, except IIRC without the picture of the iPad on it. If he got the replacement in an Apple store, then he might not have gotten a box, I didn't.

Since the serial checks as not yet registered, his story checks so far ... think all you can do is inspect it and make sure everything looks legit and works correctly.

3. VXC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but how will I play with it to check everything works fine? Doesn't the iPad require it to be plugged into iTunes to activate it first? I can't remember even tho I have a iPad 2 myself.

4. Phil-82 macrumors member

I know for a fact new ones do require you to connect to itunes 1st, probably refurbs too. You can politely ask for them to do it for you, it wont take long because your just setting it up;no updates or back ups really need to take place.

Anyways this is OT but I think I heard a sales rep say that Ipad 2 refurb has used parts, however the shell is completely new if that brightens up your day :)

Good luck with your refurb