Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
UK
I see a number of people posting that they have bought or ordered more than one phone to see which they prefer with the specific intent of returning phones after deciding. Serious question: what does Apple do with these slightly used phones that are returned? I am hoping they do not repackage them and sell them as new. But it seems this practice of buying multiples knowing one or more will be returned is common enough that I imagine Apple must get a lot of returns and in numbers they must have difficulty predicting.

I am patiently waiting for dispatch and delivery of a new iPhone 7 plus, 128gb in black, and I would not be happy to know it was a reboxed returned phone.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I see a number of people posting that they have bought or ordered more than one phone to see which they prefer with the specific intent of returning phones after deciding. Serious question: what does Apple do with these slightly used phones that are returned? I am hoping they do not repackage them and sell them as new. But it seems this practice of buying multiples knowing one or more will be returned is common enough that I imagine Apple must get a lot of returns and in numbers they must have difficulty predicting.

I am patiently waiting for dispatch and delivery of a new iPhone 7 plus, 128gb in black, and I would not be happy to know it was a reboxed returned phone.
Once the box is opened, they do not repackage and resell as new. I'm not sure that's exactly legal.

mbpharoh

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
It gets sent back to the factory and later sold as "refurbished". Apple stores can't sell returned phones as new or repackaged them. At Best Buy and other stores they can sell them as "certified open box" if they would like and you will know that its COB from the sticker on the packaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.