Buying retina iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, Jan 8, 2015.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am looking to buy a retina iMac. I definitely want to get the 512GB SSD but am unsure of whether I need to upgrade the processor and video card. I'll be using the machine to do word/excel tasks, SPSS and the occasional photoshop/playing The Sims 4. I want to keep the machine for at least 3 years. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Gaming will be the only thing that taxes the gpu, but the sims 4 seems to have incredibly low requirements in that regard. If you were going for something more demanding I might suggest it, but most of Apple's cto upgrades don't a strong value relative to their cost. It sounds like you just want something with a nice display.

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

It's for uni. I thought about getting the non-retina iMac but I do like the nice screen as you mentioned.

4. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

For me, maxing everything but the memory would be the best long term solution. In order, from your requirements, I would get these, in order:

1. Applecare
    2. 3TB Fusion Drive (I know you had the 512GB SSD, but the 3TB is something to consider)
    3. Graphics card
    4. CPU
    5. Memory (Get it elsewhere, besides Apple - I spent $140 for 16GB, and am now running 24GB)

The reason for 2-4 is that the upgrade cost later is probably going to be cost prohibitive, and that machine should be good for up to 5-6 years.

5. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

At least 5-6 years. My parents are still using an older 7 year old iMac and it runs great, still fast and peppy. Upgraded the RAM and threw an SSD in there and it seems like a brand new machine, even running Yosemite.

The processor will most likely be more than you are going to use. I would use the money towards getting the top end graphics card.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

For your use a macbook air would be fine...

Get the base model it comes with a fusion drive for your use it will be all you ever need.

7. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

OK, I'll give you that point (Ha! I think you took it!) about the CPU. It was really a toss up, and the graphics software he was using tilted me there, but, as when I was explaining to Mrs. Thequick when ordering my Retina iMac, the $250 invested now will pay off in an extra year or two of computer use.