Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifaptoomuch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Hey guys,

Best buy is offering the 15" rMBP much cheaper than the Apple Store at the moment. If I buy it from Best Buy, and any kind of problems arise, would I be able to take it to the Apple Store for service? Can I take it to the Apple Store for any reason?

I plan on getting Applecare in a few months but not at the time of purchase. I dont want to buy Best Buys Geek Squad and I dont really trust them to fix my computer if any problems come up.

Has anyone bought their Mac from Best Buy? What kind of return policy do they have? Any problems?

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
CA
Hey guys,

Best buy is offering the 15" rMBP much cheaper than the Apple Store at the moment. If I buy it from Best Buy, and any kind of problems arise, would I be able to take it to the Apple Store for service? Can I take it to the Apple Store for any reason?

I plan on getting Applecare in a few months but not at the time of purchase. I dont want to buy Best Buys Geek Squad and I dont really trust them to fix my computer if any problems come up.

Has anyone bought their Mac from Best Buy? What kind of return policy do they have? Any problems?

As long as the problems are manufacturing defects and not accidental damage, Apple will repair it for you at no cost for the first year. Since you're getting Apple Care it will be the next 3 years. It doesn't really matter where it was purchased as long as it was from an authorized retailer, which Best Buy is I would believe. I think Best Buy has a 15 day return policy on things, not sure on Apple products though. As for buying from Best Buy and then returning to Apple, I don't how that works. If you don't like it, you may have to return it to Best Buy.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
If you don't like it, you may have to return it to Best Buy.

No "may" about it. As long as you're within the return window, it has to go back to the place from where you bought it. Hold on to your receipt. After the return window lapses, you would have to take the computer to Apple or an authorized service provider to get it repaired. Bear in mind, AppleCare does not cover accidental damage. Best Buy's own extended warranty does. That being said, I wouldn't trust Best Buy's warranties if my life depended on them. I use AppleCare and have an accidental damage policy through my homeowner's insurance.

ifaptoomuch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
As long as the problems are manufacturing defects and not accidental damage, Apple will repair it for you at no cost for the first year. Since you're getting Apple Care it will be the next 3 years. It doesn't really matter where it was purchased as long as it was from an authorized retailer, which Best Buy is I would believe. I think Best Buy has a 15 day return policy on things, not sure on Apple products though. As for buying from Best Buy and then returning to Apple, I don't how that works. If you don't like it, you may have to return it to Best Buy.

Ah awesome.

So in the event that theres a manufacturer defect within the return window, would I take it to BB or to an Apple Store?

I'll call Apple later today as well as Best Buy and try to get 100% confirmation of the policies. However, has anyone bought from Best Buy and had no problems having their Macs serviced / looked at in the Apple store? Was it a good experience or is it YMMV?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
So in the event that theres a manufacturer defect within the return window, would I take it to BB or to an Apple Store?

If you're within the return window, take it back to Best Buy and try to get it exchanged for a brand new machine.

I'll call Apple later today as well as Best Buy and try to get 100% confirmation of the policies. However, has anyone bought from Best Buy and had no problems having their Macs serviced / looked at in the Apple store? Was it a good experience or is it YMMV?

As long as you've purchased from an authorized retailer, you will have no problems getting service from Apple. I've bought my Macs from MicroCenter and getting issues taken care of at the Apple store has been hassle free.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
How much is "much cheaper"? I thought all Apple retailers had price guidelines?

It's $250 off the Haswell 15" models right now. That's significant, although if you're in a state where Amazon, MacMall, or one of the other e-tailers doesn't charge sales tax, Black Friday will probably be a better option.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
It's $250 off the Haswell 15" models right now. That's significant, although if you're in a state where Amazon, MacMall, or one of the other e-tailers doesn't charge sales tax, Black Friday will probably be a better option.

Thanks for the info. I am very surprised at. $250 reduction, especially before Black Friday. Also surprised as I thought Apple products were tightly price controlled my the mothership.

Other retailers should follow suit, and il wonder if an Apple store would match that price?

sholzer

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
Hmm, I just bought mine from them for 2399 (match education store price), think they will price match, or give me a gift card or something, for the difference since I am still in the 15 day return window?

EDIT: nvm answered my own question. they will!

Last edited:

Gman021

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Hmm, I just bought mine from them for 2399 (match education store price), think they will price match, or give me a gift card or something, for the difference since I am still in the 15 day return window?

EDIT: nvm answered my own question. they will!

Best buy offers an education discount?

I would like to get a BTO rMBP, but would Best Buy add an education discount on top of their black friday deal?

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
May want to make sure it is the late-October/Haswell 15" rMBP (if that is something important to you).

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Fyi: Amazon is matching this as well. So no tax for me adds 7% additional savings

Amazon is showing not in stock but you can order it at this price.

Also if you have a Chase Freedom card you will get 5% cash back on Amazon purchases!

I assume Amazon is an authorized retailer as well.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
As for buying from Best Buy and then returning to Apple, I don't how that works. If you don't like it, you may have to return it to Best Buy.

If you bought it at Best Buy, you will not be able to return or exchange it at the Apple store.

You can take it into the Apple store for repair, but not for any after sales support like return/exchange, since you bought it at Best Buy, not the Apple Store.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
If you bought it at Best Buy, you will not be able to return or exchange it at the Apple store.

You can take it into the Apple store for repair, but not for any after sales support like return/exchange, since you bought it at Best Buy, not the Apple Store.

Then does Applecare+ not work even you purchase from a non-Apple store or Apple.com????

ifaptoomuch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Yep, just went and bought the $2,599 model of the rMBP and saved close to $300. They also said that if the price goes lower in Best Buy next week during Black Friday or any other day in the next 2 weeks, I can get a price adjustment and get further savings this way.

When I spoke to Apple earlier, they said since BB is an authorized seller, I can take it to the Apple store for service. If theres any problems in the next 15 days, I can just exchange at BB and afterwards I can take it to the Apple store while I have warranty.

I confirmed that its the current gen late 2013 Haswell model. I was afraid they would try to trick people and have this discount on last years model but happy to say that wasnt the case.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Then does Applecare+ not work even you purchase from a non-Apple store or Apple.com????

Why would you think that? Note the part you quoted (in bold no less)—Apple will repair the unit, but not typically let you swap it for a new.

----------

Fyi: Amazon is matching this as well. So no tax for me adds 7% additional savings

Amazon is showing not in stock but you can order it at this price.

Also if you have a Chase Freedom card you will get 5% cash back on Amazon purchases!

I assume Amazon is an authorized retailer as well.

Yes, buying from Amazon is fine. Note that they're only matching the price on the $2599 configuration—not the $1999 one.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Why would you think that? Note the part you quoted (in bold no less)—Apple will repair the unit, but not typically let you swap it for a new.

----------

Yes, buying from Amazon is fine. Note that they're only matching the price on the $2599 configuration—not the $1999 one.

I was worried that even repair could be an issue. I understand they would not return it.

I wanted and purchased the $2599 version from Amazon, i.e. once they have stock and ship it

Vhalentine

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
I'm pretty positive you can still purchase Apple Care even if you buy the computer from Best Buy, I think up to a year after (btw, a student discount applies for AppleCare as well). Also, for an even slicker deal you can apply the student discount coupon from Best Buy to take off an additional $50 ultimately yielding a $2,299.99 price.

Return policies have returned to a 14 day policy. They have a no question asked return policy as well though they will ask you generally what is wrong with it for example if you do decide.

Unless you have elite or elite plus membership, that return policy extends 30 or 45 days. Any problems you have with returning shouldn't be any different from any other place so long as you don't break or damage the item. Any differences should be attributed to the store's possible stupidity or incompetence.

As much as other people hate BBY, I believe there should be nothing stopping you from buying it from them. If you dislike them that much, ask Apple to price match.

sholzer

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
Best buy offers an education discount?

I would like to get a BTO rMBP, but would Best Buy add an education discount on top of their black friday deal?

Best buy will price match Apple's education pricing, but you cannot order a BTO model from them. You have to get one of the preconfigured models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.