Buying rMBP Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thanhtung031288, Jan 7, 2013.

1. thanhtung031288 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm planning to buy the 15 inch retina MBP. I'm using PC at home, so the MBP just for school (CS major also). I have some questions:
    1. 13 inch or 15 inch rMBP?
    2. 256 GB SSD is enough? or I need at least 512 GB?
    3. 8gb or 16 gb?
    4. I did some price research, and B&H photo have the best discount price on this version of rMBP:
    2.6GHz 15" rMBP (8GB, 512GB) $2,721.00 ---> discount $427.00 compared to Apple Store. Sad that is the dual core processor and just 8 GB RAM. Will I go with this one? or the quad core 2.7 GHz (16gb, 512GB) ????
    5. I think Apple will update all of the MB in February like it did in the past (likely just the processor). Do I need to wait, at least for the current MBP's price dropped?
    Thanks all!
    Tung Nguyen

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I'd say 15 inch. Screen real estate is valuable when programming (i.e. computer science). I'd put the 16GB of RAM as a higher priority then the hard drive. Once you buy your rMBP, you will *NOT* be able to upgrade any specs, so what you get is what you get. Focus on the 16GB of RAM, and then if it's within your budget, upgrade to the 512GB. You can always use an external drive if you must.

3. thanhtung031288 thread starter macrumors newbie

How about the time Apple will update their Macbook line up? 80% Apple will do some change in February, and the price of the current line up will be dropped. I will wait? or not?

4. bgiaach macrumors member

I think most people here would say the 15" rMBP is the better deal because of the internal specks. In my case I opted for the bigger SSD (512) instead of bumping the RAM or CPU. I figured for my needs more space is the right way to go, but of course each person's needs are different.

Second note, Intel's new line of chips (Haswell) probably won't show up in laptops/ultra books till late this summer or perhaps early 2014. And most people speculate that Apple will most likely wait till these chips are available to refresh their MacBook Pro/Air product line. I put money on the Haswell chips being ready for implementation by Apple in the Late Summer/Fall of this year.

If you can wait till then go a head and do it but as with all Apple products, as soon as you buy it, rumors of the next model start to fill the air...

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's totally your call. I guess it all boils down to how badly you need it right now or not.

6. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

1. Unless the improved portability is very important to you, it's hard to make a case for the 13" rMBP. If you configure it with the same size SSD, it's only a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the 15" and you give up the larger screen, the discrete GPU and the quad core processor.

2. It's hard to say how much storage is enough for you. I have a pretty big media library, which a I just keep on an external drive (with a mirror image on a second drive). Unless you want to keep lots of music and movies on the internal drive, I would guess that 256 GB would be enough.

3. Unless you will be doing big video editing projects or running multiple VMs, 8 GB will probably be enough. However, since you can't upgrade the memory later, you may feel the extra $200 is money well spent on "future proofing" your Mac. Most likely, it will just make it a little more desirable to the person you sell it to after you decide that the CPU or GPU are no longer fast enough in a few years.

4. All the 15" rMBPs have quad-core processors.

5. MBPs probably won't get updated before early summer when Haswell processors become available in volume.

7. thanhtung031288 thread starter macrumors newbie

So your rMBP is 8GB RAM? and 2.6GHz dual core?

8. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I am a CS major and don't see the need for the 15inch. My friend a CS major and now grad had a 17", 15" and now the 11" MBA. I'm almost a grad as well this Spring. I have a 13" MBA though~

9. bgiaach macrumors member

2.3GHz and 8gb RAM

10. Geoffre macrumors newbie

Just bought the 2.6GHz 15" rMBP (8GB, 512GB) from B&H and you're right, the price coupled with really, really inexpensive AppleCare ($112??) can't be beat. Since I ordered mine, the rMBPs showed up in apple's refurb store, but even with that discount the B&H price was still slightly cheaper (on a new machine!), and significantly cheaper if you have to pay tax on an apple store purchase.

Obviously I decided not to go with 16 GB, part of the reason being that it was a $400 delta to move up to that model at B&H (rather than the customary $200, due to the discount on the 8 GB model), but I feel pretty comfortable with the decision. I'm not going to own this machine forever, and by the time that amount of RAM starts to feel restrictive, I can sell it or move it to lighter duties. It's just hard for me to envision a use case for my likely usage scenarios where I need 16 in the next 2-3 years. Plus there are some interim minor annoyances with having more RAM, like a longer period to restore from suspend (on the rare occasions that happens) and the hibernation file taking up twice as much precious, precious SSD space.

Bottom line, I felt like this model was at the sweet spot of price and performance and barring a substantial price drop the day after the return period ends, I'm pretty comfortable with how this worked out.

11. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

For University, for sure you don't need the power of any of those models. A 11" MBA is already more than capable of handling whatever homework / projects you will be given at University. That being said, it really boils down to what you feel like getting and how big your budget is ( configuration is also up to you, since the lowest possible config will already be more than enough on any of those models ).

12. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Just saying. When I'm programming I like to have a lot of space because I feel less "restricted"

13. DayVe3000 macrumors member

I think the MacBook Pro with Retina displays are awesome bits of kit - I'd recommend a friend buy one tomorrow if they were to ask.

I bought a 13-inch, I do wish I'd spent abit extra and bought the 15-inch however!

My reason's; Firstly - 1280x800 is not enough desktop for me, you'd get a touch more space on the 15-inch when in 'best for retina' mode.

Secondly - the GPU . . . You get more bang with the 15-inch, definitely wish my 13-inch also had more than just the HD4000.

14. tharitm macrumors member

tharitm

Apple usually updates the MacBook Pro's at the WWDC which is held at July. Most probably the refresh will be a spec bump, new graphics and cpu. Since you are spending $2000+ better wait for it but if not the current generation model isn't bad itself.!

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

thats why its great to be able to adjust the resolution even on the 13 inch. now i have more free space to play around with than on my mums massive 17 vaio

16. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I can see that. I like the mobility of programming where I need. We have different points. I saw his thread in the MBA section as well, I just like more talking points and to make sure the OP needs to get what he or she wants. It's not bad to point out pros and cons as long as we don't make the decision for them.

Both computers are great, even the 13" MBP. I enjoy all Macs, just what make sure their needs are met. The MBA is a powerful, light, portable device. Full screen apps are great on a 13".

17. zjazz, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

zjazz macrumors 6502

At apple store you will get same 15" 8gb 512 for $2.799 vs as you said $2.721 from B&H. It is $78 difference, how did you come up with $427 discount??? Also all 15" are quad core i7, there is no dual core.

If you are a student you have $200 off the price from apple, which is greater discount than B&H.

Edit: and if you decide to go 2.6 512 16gb the price is the same $2.999, but with apple you get -220 off as a student. So $2.779 from Apple

18. thanhtung031288 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is a link in Apple Insider provide the prices check from multiple sources. The price I mentioned is including Apple Care plan, which is more than $300, but BH photo has it around half the price or less than. BH photo also has the free Parallel, which is 59$. The most important thing is the TAX!!! It is tax free in BH photo most states (I'm in CA now). Apple Store student discount is great but $220 off is not worth the final tax. You can go to Apple Insider and you will see the link for prices check from multiple stores.

----------

Thank you very much, guys. I still consider it lol. I need to think carefully before spending more than 2k on a machine that I will stick with it more than 3 years haha.:D

19. zjazz macrumors 6502

Good luck! I'm sure you will love your new comp, and if you can save some $$$ by shopping around thats a plus!

20. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

1) 15", no debate
    2) It should be enough. If not, just buy a USB hard drive later.
    3) 16gb, you will probably be running VMs.
    4) Neither unless you have the money.
    5) I doubt they will update them until June.