buying screwdrivers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nobita, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I was just wondering if this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/15pc-SCREWDR...rksid=p3286.m63.l1177&_trkparms=|293:1|294:50

Is suitable for upgrading macbooks and imacs (both RAM and HDD)? iFixit says that we need torx T6, phillips #00 (Not sure if this is the same as #0), and phillips #2, this is the description from ebay:

- TORX T5, T6, T8, T10, T15 STAR-HEAD (6 point security)

- PHILIPS (crosshead) x 3 (#0, #1, #2) SLOTTED (flathead) x 2 (#2 [2mm], #3 [3mm])

Is this what I need?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'd get something with a little more range (maybe at your local hardware stores but I don't know any since you're in AU lol)

The kit I have is :

PH 000, 00, 0 and 1. The kit you linked to doens't have have the 00 you require.

Torx = T5, 6,7,8,9,10,15 and 20

There hasn't been anything I couldn't get into before and hopefully that won't change.

3. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to some hardware stores in AU and they don't have those... I might go check some more stores.

Is this generally quite cheap? I've seen iFixit selling those for ridiculous price, I thought this ebay listing is very cheap.

So Phillips #00 is different than Phillips #0? And you think I should also get all those other torx?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Well you shouldn't have to pay too much for it, and if you'll do this alot than spending a bit on a good set of precision tools will be good in the long run. You'd be covered for torx as far as that kit you mentioned earlier goes but yes, PH 00 and 0 are different. Important because you don't want to use the wrong size and strip the extremely soft Apple screws.

The ifixit kit is better by comparison because i'd assume that the bits were magnetized but this may not be the case. It still looks better though.

5. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn, are those screws that soft? I was thinking I might be able to use different size as long as I'm careful.

The ifixit kit that you posted is very great, better than all the other ebay listings, however:

Subtotal $14.95
    Shipping $11.04
    Tax $0.00
    Order Total $25.99

Not gonna pay for shipping that much...

And on the side note I'd probably use the screwdrivers once or twice every year and that's it... That's why I don't want to spend a good amount of money on this.

I found another link on ebay, the case looks ugly but it might do the job: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/30-Precision....c0.m14&_trkparms=65:1|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I picked up a set of small screwdrivers at wal-mart (4 philips, 4 flat, 4 torx) with magnetic heads for ~$10. Fantastic deal, and has everything you will need for most computer repairs (mac or otherwise).

There may or may not be walmart where you are, but something like it will probably have something in their hardware section.

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I've been using the one on the right for a while. It has eight different heads including Torx 8 and 10. The one on the left I bought out of town because I didn't have the all in one set with me. It has 30 heads, most of which I will probably never use.

Neither one cost more than about $20.

Attached Files:

8. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I see, but practically speaking we'd only need three or four out of those 20 or 30 heads, right?

Furthermore we only upgrade our hard disk/ram once every 3-4 years, right? Thus I shall buy the cheaper one then... =) It'd be wiser for me to spend more money on ram and hard disk rather than on this, right?

9. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

I just picked up a new screwdriver with 25-30 different heads at Lowes yesterday because I needed the Torx T6 to upgrade my MBP HD. It was only $14. At that price it is not even worth the time to look on ebay.

10. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Torx are often used on automobiles too. I've used them on lamp casings. So you might have other uses for them from time-to-time.

11. ElusiveTramp macrumors newbie

12. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is... There is no Lowes or wal marts in australia (If any, Lowes is a clothing store and we have K-mart gere which is not entirely useful). Thus I was looking at ebay..

Anyone in here knows of any store that sells torxes and phillips in australia?

13. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Won't this be a bit too expensive? I'd say you add a few more pounds and you can get the whole set in ebay or perhaps your local store..

To answer your question, yes I think this is what you need to upgrade RAM in unibody macbooks and macbook pros. For HDD, you need this and torx 6 (T6)

14. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Go to your local hardware store and have a look. I picked up 2 kobalt handles for $6.00 each. One handle has 8 Torx drivers and the other has 4 philip and 4 flat head screwdrivers. All are small size, very well made. The sets have the torx and philips sizes that we need to work on our apple laptops.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Well made nothing. Are you talking about the one's that have the silver barrel for the bit, blue body and the grey detatchable part to hold the bits? My torx set broke off into the body so I can't get it out and after two uses on the other one the grey cap went loose!

I haven't taken them back. They were pretty cheap but I don't have the receipt for them. Oh well.

16. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to a hardware store just this afternoon, and saw something which is very ugly and not as cheap as ebay's. I think I'll go with ebay..

17. MTI macrumors 65816

Just a personal observation. I generally don't like drivers that use interchangeable shafts, grips or the like when buying handtools. I've always found it better to have individual drivers.

18. sammc macrumors newbie

New MacBooks use Torx Plus Tamper 6 screws

Be aware that the latest generation of MacBook Pro unibody models use special screws to hold in the battery. These require a "Torx Plus Tamper 6" screwdriver to remove them. This is a tamper resistant version of the standard torx screw, having 5 points instead of 6. Availability of the screwdrivers is tightly controlled.