Buying second hand, can I check if stolen? Urgent

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zalle, Mar 12, 2013.

1. zalle macrumors member

Hi,

I'm going to buy an imac 27", and the guy has box, invoice, etc. Even then, can I check somewhere, using it's serial number, if it is stolen?

Thanks guys :)

2. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Not that Im aware of. If he has all the documentation, computer looks good, price is what you are happy with, buy it and forget about it.

3. n-i-k-k-o macrumors member

If the price is too good to be true, then it's probably too good to be true! Imagine that something breaks in a few months. If you've got Apple Care (good move) and return a faulty unit to Apple and it's registered as stolen, then what?

Personally, when I part with significant cash then I want peace of mind that my investment is protected if something goes wrong months from now. That has a value which I would not be willing to trade off for an up front discount. It's not a deal I would do personally.

Nikko

4. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Price wasn't mentioned, did you even read the post? OP if he has documents and everything then what more could you possibly ask for, I mean if you're really that worried buy from a store but I doubt it's stolen with all of the information you have given.

5. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Why are you even asking about ownership status if the seller possesses all of this documentation?

Ask the seller to contact Apple while you're there and check the S/N.

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

If the original invoice is available for the imac, then what more is needed. The box is also a good sign. After verifying those, I'd be more interested at this point in what repairs or modifications, if any have been performed on the unit.

7. zalle thread starter macrumors member

Well,

I'm writing from it now :) the price wasn't "too good to be true", just a good deal, where the previous owner acepted my offer.

It's a 27" imac i5 2.66 with 8GB, 1TB HD and HD 4850 512 MB.

It has original box + purchase receipt (may 2010) and another receipt saying the HD was replaced under warranty (alegedly an apple decision for this series).

Thanks for your input guys. I'm pretty happy with it.