Buying second hand (unopened) AppleCare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J.C, Sep 26, 2011.

1. J.C macrumors 6502

I’m looking at buying an AppleCare protection plan for iMac from a private seller. It’s in the original box, sealed and unopened. It was bought for an iMac at the guy’s work (they no longer have the iMac) and he believes it was never used. The price is really good.
    Before I hand over the cash I wanted to check that there is no way the plan could have been used already, despite the packaging not being opened? I genuinely believe he is being honest. But there is always the chance he could be wrong.
    I’ve never purchased AppleCare before so I’m not entirely sure how it works or what is in the box.

If the box has really not been opened am I ok?

2. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

The main problem would be that it would be possible to open the box to get the activation code, then re-shrinkwrap it to give it the sealed appearance.

So it all comes down to whether you trust the seller.

3. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

I do trust the guy. Apart from that the box has to be opened for the plan to have been used?

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

As long that the code is not used you are good to go. One of my friend bought an Apple care for his iPhone a year and half ago but never activate it do you guys think the code still work?

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Yes, the code is sealed inside the box, and can only be accessed by opening it. I have heard stories of buyers complaining that codes they had purchased on eBay had already been used, which is why it is so important that you take all possible precautions to ensure that the seller can be trusted, whether the box appears to be sealed or not. But if you already know you can trust the seller, you should be good to go.

6. Mic-Yo macrumors newbie

Mic-Yo

I think you already made the decision according to your response. :D

7. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

I have registered three products with Applecare. The first I bought from an AppleStore and of course had no problems what so ever. The other two I purchased from an authorised Apple reseller and both times I had to email a copy of the receipt to Apple. All of my Applecare's were purchased in sealed boxes.

If I were you I would try and get a receipt just in case you are asked for it when you register the serial number.