Buying second monitor for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AEPCLondon, Sep 8, 2008.

1. AEPCLondon macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro (15") and my eyes are killing me! I think I need a new monitor (larger).

I looked at the Apple store and am shocked by the price for the cinema display there. (£399 : $700)

Can anyone recommend a good alternative? For example I am looking at an HP 20 inch monitor for only £150 :$250. Will this lead to all sorts of hidden connectivity issues that Apple seems very good at creating to try to keep you in house?

Also, should I then buy a second keyboard/mouse so that my MacBook Pro becomes the drive of this "new" computer? Again, are there connectivity issues as I see some manufacturers make Apple only models?

Any experience out there? Or send me to a handy guide!

Thanks

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

There are no connectivity issues.

The ACD's are made with S-IPS panels (or was it H-IPS), in any case they're professional level products for those working in the creative industry where accurate color reproduction is essential. The HP monitor probably will be TN, which is perfectly fine if you don't need the super accurate reproduction :)

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

yep, apple's panels are pretty much better (they use the IPS panels like stated above, which have a true reproduction of "millions of colors" unlike TN panels found in cheaper LCDs, as well as the MBP :p) than any LCD under $300.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Lol, no, your Macbook Pro won't explode if you connect a Dell Ultra Sharp to it.

Keep in Mind ACD have those nifty usb and firewire(?) hubs built in.

I bought a relatively lame 22" Samsung which serves its purpose, but now I wish I would have gone with an all :apple: setup.

I do have the Wireless Mighty Mouse and Wireless Keyboard, which , when coupled with the Macbook Pro , are extremely robust (in my opinion).

I've utilized my MBP in Clamshell-Exculsive mode since about a week after I got it, and after the intial startup and configuration, I havn't needed to touch the keyboard since.

I generally sleep/wake in OS X then if I need to do any gaming, I'll restart through the OS and fire up Windows in Bootcamp (and you can hold down option on your wireless keyboard to do configuration, since it pairs right as the computer is on to do any startup functions)