buying simlock free iPhone 6 in USA. Which one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geert76, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Geert76 macrumors 65816

I will be travelling to the USA in a couple of weeks, and would like to buy a simlock free (no contract, full retail price) iPhone 6. I wanna use the iPhone 6 with my own sim here in Europe

Which one should I buy at the Apple Store (New York)? I read something about AT&T, Verizon and TMobile

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Definitely go for a Verizon version.

They are unlocked by default and can be used on GSM carriers (as well as Verizon).

3. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for your reply. So I should just walk into the Apple Store and ask for a simlock/simfree Verizon iPhone 6. Is this correct?

And I will be able to use that iPhone with my own European sim card?

4. illusionx macrumors 6502

Huh? You ask for unlocked version. It shouldn't bind with any carrier.

5. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 65816

haha...sorry for the confussion. I meant an simlockfree iPhone which I can simply use with my own sim from my (European) carrier

6. illusionx macrumors 6502

Yeah. You just ask for one at the apple store and pay full price instead of a subsidized one from AT&T, Verizon etc.
    you can even test it on the spot just to be sure. Your EU GSM sim should connect to AT&T network in the states.
    Otherwise, it will show as an invalid sim.

7. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 65816

8. spriggiepoo macrumors newbie

iPhone 6 (simlock free)

Do not buy the version one, I live here in Germany and just got back from New York Grand Central Station with 2 iPhone 6's, this is what you have to do. Call Grand Central Station Apple Store 001 (212) 284-1800 and order your iPhone 6 tell sales person you want the T-moble ones (they are the only iPhones simlock free) they will your credit card or debit card number for payment on the phone then you receive 2 messages one to confirm your order and 2 - 3 days later to let you know that you can pick them up, make sure to tell them Grand Central Station pickup

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Whatever you do, no matter how tempting in price, DO NOT BUY THE SPRINT VERSION!

Full price for a Sprint phone means contract free only and that's all! Sprint phones are locked no matter how much or how little you pay for them.

10. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 65816

haha thanks for your tips. Got mine around 6 weeks ago. The TMobile Full Retail Price

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm guessing by "version" you might have been referring to Verizon? If so, that is completely factory unlocked as well--basically the same phone as the T-Mobile one with one small addition that it can also run on Verizon's network too.

----------

And, yeah, based on the thread and dates seems like this was taken care of weeks ago, as this post confirms. Glad it worked out.