Buying software for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by axisD, Jun 8, 2013.

1. axisD macrumors newbie

This is a totally ignorant question, I know...but I have my first imac, and since there is no disk drive, how do I purchase software for it? I was researching buying Cubase 7, and I went to steinberg's site and there's no option to download it, you can only get it on a disk. So is my only option to buy an external disk drive? What do you guys do when buying new software?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you look in your Applications folder you will see a program called App Store. Launch that and you find a lot of software that is downloadable. Also, many developers allow you DL directly from them. Another option is Amazon has a lot of OS X software you can DL direct from them.

If you can't find what you want downloadable and it is only available on a CD like Cubase, you will need to buy an external CD/DVD drive to install the software. Apple sells their own, or most of the USB DVD drives on Amazon or similar will work.

The short answer is Apple would like to push everybody to downloadable software, so fewer and fewer companies require a CD purchase.

3. axisD thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

5. Bear macrumors G3

6. axisD thread starter macrumors newbie

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have a very strong preference for buying SW on the MAS. I love the fact that it all updates asynchronously. Traditional SW generally updates when you launch that particular application... which is the worst possible time... because it is exactly when you want to use it... not update it.

/Jim

8. Bear macrumors G3

Of course the Mac App Store only works when the software you're interested in is available that way. I do agree that if the software is the same either way the MAS would be the way to go.