buying software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whistler222, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whistler222 macrumors 6502

I have office for mac 2008, windows vista on bootcamp, adobe cs3 etc.. on my macbook

do i need to buy a new license for installing them on my mac pro?
    OR do i need to pay for brand new copies? :(

Thanks!

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Windows Vista is only Licensed for one computer and due to the activation process, you will not be able to install it on more than one computer.

Is your Adobe CS3 a student version or full retail version?

Office 2008 Home & Student version (i think) is licensed for use on 3 computers as was Office 2004 Student Teacher version.

3. whistler222 thread starter macrumors 6502

for vista, can i uninstall it on old comp, and transfer license to new comp?

thanks!

4. sfs macrumors member

Probably, but you should check the documentation on how to do it so as to transfer the license. My guess is they've deliberately made it more difficult than it needed to be.

Technically, every computer you put something on is a new license, unless the software specifically stated that it included more than one license (as did the aforementioned MS Office). I know a lot of people who reuse the same license on two, three, or more computers. Their excuse is usually that only one instance of the license is active at any one time, and I suppose that such a defense might gain some traction with a jury (though probably not a judge). If you're in danger of being audited, get more licenses if you need the software on multiple computers.