buying somthing to make external hdd wifi

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by henry.oswald, Aug 6, 2007.

1. henry.oswald macrumors member

I don't want to buy an airport extreme because its to expensive, is their something that i can just plug into my external hard drive/s for me to access elsewhere. (dont want to use another computer) i cant seem to find much on it.

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

As far as I know it's not possible without it being hooked up to a computer...but other opinions may differ

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Remote access

You want to be able to access a hard drive from outside your house (local network) or just wirelessly?

There's no way to access it remotely without a computer somewhere in the equation, but you can of course access it wirelessly with certain models and routers.

That being said...interested in a hard drive less G4? I've got one for sale...

4. henry.oswald thread starter macrumors member

thanks but im in the uk.

Doesnt anyone thing that this is a big gap in the market? Most people have laptops nowadays, conecting wirelessly to a cheap external makes sence to me!

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...no

Again, are you looking to access your music wirelessly from inside your home or remotely from outside?

6. henry.oswald thread starter macrumors member

opps, Inside my home, via wifi, not just music but general files etc.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

8. kinesin macrumors regular

Sounds like you may need a Linksys Nlsu2.

It's a tiny network usb device that lets you attach a usb harddrive, it then just shows up as a network share.

However as it runs linux there are modified firmwares available that allow the installation of other bits of software. I've got mt-daap running on mine, (an itunes compatible server) that allows all my machine to see the shared music from within itunes, and is therefore accessible from other itunes devices (roku soundbrigde).

Edit: you want wifi.
    flash it with modified firmware and add a supported USB wifi stick, that or plug it into your router.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You could have a look at this.

I don't know much about it aside from what I read in a brief review. Looks like you plug this thing into your router, plug the external HDD into this network hub, and you're set.