Buying Stock?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alectheking, Aug 28, 2010.

1. alectheking macrumors 6502a

When is the smartest time to buy stock? I'm new and eager to learn. Any input would be great maybe some smart buying decisions besides AAPL? Thanks

2. KirkL macrumors 6502

When it's low.

3. csjo00 macrumors regular

I'd be buying some ASAP considering there is all these rumors about new iPods and such, and there is a media event planned for Sept. 1st.

... Just sayin'..

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

This is hardly the place for advice on the stock market; I doubt that many people here are experts in the stock market.

The price of the Apple stock varies a lot, often regardless of what Apple is doing.

5. wlh99 macrumors 6502

You don't think that millions of others have already thought of that, driving the price to where it is now?

Many companies, including apple, see a rise in stock prices before an announcement only to have it come back down afterwords.

There is no 100% reliable way to buy stocks. Perhaps the worst way is to buy a stock you don't understand based on an internet recommendation. A better way is to do considerable research on a company and its competitors. Buy the company you think will make the most profit in the coming months.

If you want to buy stocks I recommend this: Get an account at TD Ameritrade. Don't rush and buy stocks, but learn how to use the many tools read the analyst reports Ameritrade provides, and listen to some conference calls.

6. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Buy low, sell high and guess good.

I'm still amazed at apples stock price.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One smart buying decision is don't take investment advice from anonymous posters in an internet forum. None of us know your financial picture, so we can't even know if you should be investing in stock, (or anything else) at all. There are plenty of professionals in the investment industry who can advise you.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't be investing in the stock market unless you have zero consumer debt and have sufficient liquid savings for emergencies. You should also never invest in anything that you don't completely understand. Any investment needs to meet your criteria for risk tolerance, taxation, income, capital growth, liquidity, etc. If you don't have a clear understanding of these issues, you're not ready to invest.

8. alectheking thread starter macrumors 6502a

Basically I was just asking about time wise. Is it smarter to buy right before the keynote or right after? I have heard it tends to drop right after, but don't know much more.

9. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

It's a shame that you didn't buy some apple stock back in 2002. It's gone up 10 fold since then.
    Now it's quite high and your chances of big profits are slim.
    I wish I had bought some Microsoft stock back in the 70s.
    I'd be a millionaire now.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Even better, I debated buying appl in 1997 at $7 but didn't. Writing this message on my iPad. Oh well :)

11. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Actually, apple stock dropped after that. It was essentially flat from its beginning until about 2002, never getting above $10, IIRC, and then it went up the the current $250, more or less.
    The sweet spot would have been to buy in 2002.

12. 184550 Guest

If you want to play around with a fictional trading account, try updown.com.

I had to make an account there in 2007 for a class I was taking. Kind of fun to mess around with.

13. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

You just have to jump in and make your mark. You win some, you lose some. I have kept an eye on AAPL stock since purchasing an iMac in July 2009, and it has gone up over 20% since then. Who knows what the future will bring?

14. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Buying Apple stock right now is not for someone new in the stock market. Even though you may have a lot faith in the company the stock is a terrible value. Say you have $10,000 to invest. That will only buy you approximately 42 shares at the current price. If the shares go up 20% (that's optimistic btw) that will earn you about $2200. My recommendation is to buy some stock in companies that have reasonably priced shares (less than $50 per), pay dividends and show some great potential. Had this been 10 years ago and when Apple was trading below $50/share I'd say buy it. That was when products like the iMac, iTunes, iPod were new and revolutionary. Now they're all mature products that are being improved, still great but far from revolutionary. When Apple is ready to announce the next NEW product that may be good time to invest. Like when the iPad was announced in January the stock was about $180/share now it's at $240...not a bad ride. Announcing new iPods, iMacs, MBPs, etc are all pretty boring stuff for the stock market because they're all considered very mature. If you have no knowledge of the market get yourself educated by talking to experts that know the market and can give you sound advice. Talk to a lot of people and study various industries, (Energy, Technology, Health, Industrial etc..) and educate yourself on various companies. Last if you aren't willing to lose every penny of your investment then you are not ready to invest.

Regards,

Roger