Buying stuff from itunes. Few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by c2v4l, Nov 13, 2008.

1. c2v4l macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have few questions on Itunes. I’ll separate them into few sections.

Apps store.

Ok. I don’t have an iphone or even ipod touch yet. I’m still saving money to get an iphone. It does not available officially in my country. Although, I’ve been hearing rumors that some telco will bring it officially this December. I don’t really care about this since I can get them from neighboring country once I save enough. Anyways, you guys must realize that some paid apps sometimes will be offered for free for limited time. I download all of them in PC A with my account. After around 1 month, the lcd broke, so I borrow my sister laptop PC B and keep on downloading apps from the same account. I’m also planning to buy macbook maybe in january. So here’s my questions.
    How to transfer all those apps that I’ve downloaded from PC A and PC B to my new macbook later on? Is there any limit on how many times I can transfer the apps? If I buy my gf another iphone can she used my account and download stuff that I already download into her computer? I was told by my friend that you can only transfer apps for only a maximum of 5 times.

Once from PC A and PCB to my new mac.
    If I download those apps into my new iphone it will be the 2nd.
    If I let my gf download them as well it will be the 3rd.
    If I buy an ipod touch and download the apps into my touch it will the 4th time.

Then this leave me only one more time to transfer the apps. What if my macbook spoilt and I bought a new one? What if I buy a new iphone? I hope the limit of 5 times isn’t true. But could somebody confirm this for me?

Tv shows.

Alright, all this while I’ve been downloading tv shows from rapidshare. However, I’m going original after this. So a hd tv shows have a size around 1.3GB. 1 season could easily eat my harddisk space around 30GB.
    So does tv shows have any limit as well? What if I don’t want to store them in my harddisk and downloading them whenever I want to watch them (Itunes recognize all apps that I’ve already downloaded and will ask me again if I really want to download them again) Can I do that?

Rest assured I’m not going to do some crazy stuff like buying them and sharing with my whole friend. Most likely I’m just using for myself but I might share some of this tv shows or apps with my gf. I thought I should just ask here since I can't find the info I needed from apple site.

2. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

From my experience:

I have downloaded iTunes music, movies, TV shows, apps from different computers and put them on others. iTunes allows 5 authorized computers to share this content with. iTunes also has an option to deauthorize computers as well. I have done that when I bought a new computer and got rid of my old one.

I don't have a space issue as I don't download many movies or HD TV shows. However you can certainly store them on an external drive and bring them into iTunes when you want to use watch them.

3. benadd macrumors newbie

Moving Apps from one place to the other.

Hey,

To answer your question about the apps and sharing them:

When you buy an app on the store (regardless of whether it is free or costs), it contains information about what account bought the app, and, like purchased songs, they can only be used on an 'authorised' computer - (to authorise, go to iTunes > Store > Authorise Computer... on your menu bar).

When you put an app on your iPod or iPhone this does not count as an authorisation. As long as your iPod/iPhone is set up to sync to the same computer, the app should be transferred successfully. Same with your girlfriend - if she is using your computer to sync her iPod, the apps should be transferred successfully. If she uses her own computer, simply authorise her computer with your account and copy the apps to her computer.

I didn't understand the second question, but I hope the above helps in some way at least.

4. c2v4l thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

The 2nd question is more or less the same with the first one actually. Sorry for my english. Hard to describe stuff accurately.

5. blk88memorz macrumors newbie

blk88memorz

hey c2v4l.
    which is the country your living in?
    cos i was wondering how isnt iPhone available in your country
    but the local iTunes store sells tv shows.

6. c2v4l thread starter macrumors newbie

oh no. There is no local tv show either. I'm planning to ask my friend who study in states to buy itunes gift card for me. I think from where you download is not important as long as you use US itunes gift card right?

7. blk88memorz macrumors newbie

blk88memorz

yea you can do that.
    but you'llhave to create an account using a US address.
    you can search googlemaps and find an address of a mcdonalds for example.
    or your friend's.:p