Buying the Intel X25-M G2 160GB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MythicFrost, Aug 30, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey, I'm going to buy some SSDs, but I'd really like to know if it's going to make much difference?

I currently have a Mac Pro, with just some 7200 rpm 320GB hard drive.
    I use programs like CS4, Final Cut Studio, Parallels Desktop for Mac, etc...

Question 1:
    Will I have any problems running those programs on SSDs? are all programs compatible with them?

Question 2:
    I also wonder, how will Final Cut Studio benefit from it,
    will it be able to read data faster and vastly improve it's performance,
    or is it write speed that vastly improves performance for that program? (I know graphics card helps)

Question 3:
    Will Snow Leopard install fine on it? or doesn't it support SSDs?
    I'm also wondering if SL will support the TRIM command?

Question 4:
    Will it be worth the money? I don't want to buy one and be disappointed and go ohh, this isn't much different!

Question 5:
    For example, if I was opening a 250MB PDF? or a 50MB JPEG image in adobe reader or photoshop would they
    open instantly or lightning quick? compared to what it would take for my hard drive? like what's the difference,
    2 seconds for HD, 1 second for SSD? I'm not sure. Are there any good benchmarks? I'll google for that soon.

I live in Australia, so I'll be purchasing them from NewEgg and having them shipped (obviously),
    I'd like to get one 160GB for my OSX (SL, which will be installed brand new), and a 160GB or 80GB for my Windows 7 partition...
    I'd also like to get one for my dad, I think it will benefit him a lot, he takes a lot of high res photos,
    imports those photos over, batch processes them, opens them up in PS, and does a lot of editing and other stuff with InDesign & Illustrator, etc...

Question 6:
    I'm wondering if PS, Illustrator, InDesign might see much benefit to a 160GB SSD? or perhaps have some aspect of them that will not work as well?

Question 7:
    And how would one of these SSDs work for Leopard?

I'd really like to get them, but I'm scared the SSD is going to break, or be faulty,
    or have aliens inside it (ehh little paranoid :eek: :D), or worst of all, just not be that great!

If anyone has one or knows any answers to my questions, I'd very much appreciate the answer!
    (I know that's a lot of questions, so please bare with me :O)

EDIT
    Question 8:
    How will a SSD go with Pro Tools 8? if dad installed that on his OSX, then have all the large track content etc.. on a hard drive
    would an SSD be good or BAD for Pro Tools?

Kind Regards

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

1. Programs don't know the difference. They can't be "not compatible." It's just a storage drive.

2. It will be significantly faster.

3. Uhhh yes... SL supports SSDs... but not TRIM, yet.

4. For some people it's worth the money, for others, it's not. Do you need speed? Can you fit it in your budget easily?

The rest... It's an SSD. It's fast. That's the point.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

Basically, it's going to be really, really, f*cking fast. :)

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Maybe. The first thing that slows down FCP performance is the speed of the scratch disk. If you're storing your media on your main drive (which most editors never do), then you'll notice speed gains. If not, you won't. But yes, it will be ridiculously fast.

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ok great, if I bought 2 ssds and stored the track n session content
    on the 2nd SSD, there'd probably be enough space.

Does leopard support SSDs?

Kind Regards

7. Doju macrumors 68000

Yes. It is just a storage device, Leopard, nor any OS cares whether it's an HDD or SSD. It will work.