Buying the iPhone in the Uk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sanzu3, Oct 13, 2007.

1. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

Okay, so when the iPhone finally goes on sale here next month is their any reason to buy it direct from Apple, rather than O2 or Carphone warehouse ???

Is likely that O2 / Carphone warehouse will be offering some extra incentive to buy from them rather than Apple ???

2. sananda macrumors 68020

no.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This is an interesting question.

Personally I would rather buy directly from Apple even though it may be more convenient to go to a local CPW or O2 shop because I just have a feeling that it will be easier to get an exchange if something goes wrong or isn't right.

I may be wrong about this, and indeed, hope that I am.

4. sanzu3 thread starter macrumors regular

sanzu3

Thats what I think too !

5. metoo6000 macrumors regular

Agreed. Simply hard to trust O2/CPW refund services...

6. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

1. Customer service from Apple is WAY better than the other 2 put together.
    2. Returns/Exchange policy with Apple will be much better than the others
    3. The much cooler bag. :cool:

7. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

8. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, my experience here in the States with AT&T has shown that buying from Apple or AT&T yields the same experience. The return policy is pretty cut and dry. 14 days return policy with a 10% restocking fee if it's open. Actually if anything it may be a little tougher with Apple because they may want you to meet with a Mac Genius first.

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Actually here, it has to be 14 days no quibble return, no restocking, nothing. You pay £269, you return it and get £269 back.

I've never had any problem with CPW returns - due to the 14 day return rule here in the UK. One time a few years ago, I went through 4 phones in three weeks because I couldn't decide on one I liked. CPW had no problem returning them, and giving me a refund. I ended up at the same store a few days later buying another...

When companies are legally obliged to cooperate, it's surprisingly easy.

I'm totally comfortable with buying an iPhone at either CPW or Apple - but I'd prefer to get it at the Apple Store, because I haven't had a chance to get through to the one in Glasgow since it opened.

10. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I don't think it really matters where you buy the iphone from. I remember a few years ago i bought a second hand ipod from my mate (god knows where he got it from) it had no earphones or even a receipt. A few months later it packed up and i happened to be in the States at the time, walked into the nearest Apple shop and asked if they could look at it. The bloke at the genius bar typed in the serial number and found out that it was still within warranty and replaced it without any questions. I'd like to think the same would apply with the Iphone as long as you haven't hacked it ;)

11. ascender macrumors 68000

I'm an existing O2 customer so I'm not sure on how that will work out. Unless there's some sort of pre-order from O2, there's no way I can see my current number working on the iPhone on release day as I'll need a new sim card (I'm guessing).

Any ideas?

12. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

If you are an existing O2 customer you will keep your number, it will all be dealt with through iTunes.

From the O2 website:

"Existing Customers

You'll need to start a new 18 month minimum term contract and pay for your iPhone handset but you can keep your existing number. So everyone will know it's you when you call them to brag.

If you were an O2 customer or upgraded before 18 September 2007
    You can switch to an O2 tariff for iPhone without paying any remaining monthly charges on your existing contract.

If you joined or upgraded after 18th of September 2007
    You have a choice, you can either:

(i) Enter into a second pay monthly contract whilst keeping your existing contract; or

(ii) Start a new contract by paying a one-off transfer charge of £219 instead of the remaining monthly charges on your existing contract.

O2 Simplicity and O2 Pay & Go customers will not be required to pay any additional charges."

13. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

when i switched my o2 sim for a 3g o2 sim it took 5 days to do it. :mad:

14. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I assume that you will be able to port your number (with a PAC code) from other networks as well. If not I will not be getting an iPhone after all.

15. ascender macrumors 68000

That sounds deceptively simple though.

Are sim-cards not number-specific as well as service-specific? So I'll need a new iPhone-specific SIM which is linked to my current phone number. The only way I can see that happening is to get one from O2 direct. I can't see how iTunes would be able to help unless there's some very funky technology being rolled out as how would they be able to access my current O2 account details?

Unless I'm missing something.

16. sananda macrumors 68020

we'll only find out on the 9th how long it will take for numbers to be transferred over to iphones.

your iphone will have a sim in it and you won't have to to anything other than set it up through itunes. who knows how efficient 02 will be at transferring numbers!

17. ascender macrumors 68000

That's what I was getting at. It'll be very simple to just buy a new iPhone and activate it, but I'm guessing that will only cause problems if you're an existing O2 customer as it'll start a new account.

Unless there's some way that they could send you a new sim ready to go on the day which you then phone up and activate (as with any replacement sims), then I can't see how its going to work without a few days wait.

Surely they've thought about this though...

18. sananda macrumors 68020

itunes will ask you if you an existing customers who wishes to retain his number. when you say you are, the information will be sent to 02. they will then transfer your number. could be minutes, could be hours, could be days.

19. ascender macrumors 68000

If its as simple as that then I'll pick one up on the day, no question about it. Hopefully they'll confirm how things will work before the release date.

20. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I was looking on the O2 website and It seems they only envision a delay for customers switching from other suppliers. We will see on the day, I am expecting a delay of upto five days as I am a vodafone customer, however they have said they will give me a temp number.