buying the iphone with contract or without it? What's the best option?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by giulianoaugusto, Jul 9, 2009.

1. giulianoaugusto macrumors member

hey guys,
    not sure if this question has been asked or not, couldn't find it, if so, feel free to redirect the topic..
    anyways...one thing is killing me...Im not living in the US currently so I wanna buy an iPhone with AT&T and JB/unlock it to use it where I live.
    My mom is gonna buy it for me since she's in the US.
    Question is...Should I buy it with the no-commitment price of 599(16g) and just walk away hassle-free or do the 2yr contract and then cancel it?
    I know that the 2yr option is cheaper, but Im afraid they'll want the phone back and all...cuz If I went for the 2yr contract option I'd sign it up and my mom would send me the phone right away and then wait the full month to cancel it afterwards...does she need to have the phone at hand to cancel it? and does she need to activate it? cuz if not, she could buy it, sign it up and send it to me and cancel later...
    anyways...give your ideas on the matter
    any help is welcome! thank you guys!

2. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

If you do that, you can port it to another line like a T-Mobile prepaid or something. Pay the Activation fees, one Month of service, and ETF. Should put you around maybe $500? You still save a great deal of money but it's a lot of hassle. I wouldn't mind signing a contract, but I'm not eligible to upgrade yet :\