Buying the iPod touch in Japan. Yes? No? Please?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. B, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Mr. B macrumors regular

Damn, the ipod touch is *exactly* what I was looking for.

However I am currently residing in japan, and I was wondering how the warrenty would work out over here.

If I buy a first gen product I fully expect that there may be some flaws.

But if I buy this product in japan and then fly back to the states in a few months, will they still honor my warrenty over there?

What about applecare? Would that carry over?

I would really like to buy this here, and now, but If the warrenty won't be honored back home it would be too risky.

Thanks! I hope someone knows the answer!

2. Mr. B thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, nobody here knows about apple care warrenty when something is bought in another country?

I'm sure some of you have experienced a smiliar situation...

3. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

When I worked for Apple Retail, we used to tell people this:

"You can buy the product anywhere in the world, but you must buy the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) in your own country. For example, a AppleCare Protection Plan purchased in the USA must be registered to a US address."

I hope that helps. Good move on purchasing AppleCare.

4. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Japan? That shouldn't be a problem. At least there are Apple Stores there. They should be able to take care of any problems. I used to live in Thailand where there were only "Authorized Resellers."

5. Mr. B thread starter macrumors regular

hmm... I guess I could always buy it over here, and then since I'll be home in a few months I could just buy the apple care when I get back home...

Haha... an obvious solution but I really didn't think of it.

thanks!

6. Flight16 macrumors newbie

You may want to ask, as these are just anecdotal stories...

My PowerBook's HDD died when I was in Japan for a year. No AppleCare, but it was still under warranty, and there wasn't the slightest problem getting it replaced.

When people sell a Mac with AppleCare, they have to transfer that somehow... right? If you're actually living in Japan for a while perhaps you could register your Japanese address, then update your contact info when you move back to wherever it is you're from.

I'd ask somebody at an Apple Store...

7. Flight16 macrumors newbie

I like that idea even better!

8. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

All Apple PORTABLES (Laptops, ipods) have INTERNATIONAL warranty and apple care is indeed honoured worldwide where there is a genuine apple store or authorized service centre.

I think this is written somewhere on the terms and conditions but this was confirmed by a friend of mine who works at Apple Care division in Tokyo.

Oh and I had a macbook pro serviced here in the UK even though the laptop was bought in japan.

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Warranty

Your iPod Touch will have a 1 year warranty. You can buy AppleCare at any time during the first year. If your not sure of AppleCare and none of us seem to be either, why not wait until you return to the US and then add AppleCare?

Just a suggestion!

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

More importantly - can Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji be used on this device? I wondered about that for the iPhone too...

11. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

12. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Very good question, Koobcamuk. I would guess Safari could display Japanese web pages, but I am not sure if there is a Japanese IME.

13. DerJapaner macrumors newbie

Just to reconfirm - I bought an IMAC here two weeks ago and the guy in the apple store in Osaka confirmed that Apple Care is global. I bought a Nano yesterday and he guaranteed 1 year in Japan, no mentioning of global (I did not ask). Given that they had applecare for the Nano I assume it is not global, yet if you beg enough I hope that Apple would find a way to resolve any product issue.

Guess I will see you in the Apple store in Osaka or Tokyo on the 28th when the touch is due :)

14. askywalker macrumors regular

I've been in Japan for the last month ... bought lots of hardware, including macbook pro (with english keyboard) and new ipods - but obviously no touch yet. Picked up another red nano this afternoon - they are really nice and great price. I have been told that Apple warranties are global - so haven't worried about it.. I suppose I should have questioned it a bit more, but I just trusted them the first time I asked - that was when I bought the MBP a few weeks ago. It turned me into this crazed Mac Fanboy ... :eek:

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Its an ipod, how many flaws do you think it will have? Technically all ipods except the 5.5g are "first gen" since they never get revisions until the next one. The only thing youll get screwed on is price or size (I bet a 32gb touch will come out this fall).

16. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I have heard that the safari will support web pages - but the input is still iffy. Will be an interesting one, that's for sure!

17. iSlicer macrumors member

Yes, they will honour the warranty.

Hi, I brought my comp from Australia to Japan earlier this year and when I had an issue, they fixed it without any hesitation. But, this is Japan, and as you live here, you know they have the best customer service. So, I called my Apple store in Adelaide and asked if I bring back my new laptop from Japan next year will they also honour the warranty. they said "Of course!" So looks like you can buy and be assured.

Also, the iTouch is not *really* rev 1 i don't think. maybe 1.00001 as it is based on the iphone.