Buying the new 2019 15 MBP i7 vs i9?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darwichee90, Aug 14, 2019.

1. darwichee90 macrumors newbie

Hi,

After watching alot of reviews it feels that many have problems with the i9 version, like the fans, the heating, and throttling.

I´m not a pro user at all, and just going to use the laptop for basic stuff, so my question is, if i choose the i7 version instead of the i9, will i be safe from all the problems that everyone has, or is it basicly hit or miss? Because if the chances are the same, then i rather pick the i9 instead.

The thing is i can´t wait untill October for the new ones, so will buy one now regardless.

thanks

2. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

Are you talking about the 2018 models? The 2019 models don't have thermal issues like the 2018 models do.

If you're not doing anything intensive, why the 15 inch Pro and not the MacBook Air or 13" Pro?

3. darwichee90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean 2019 version. Almost every reviewer is saying that the fan speed are going up even though they just browse the web and normal stuff,

I really want the 15 inch because of bigger screen, and since i don't have any other computer this will be my "main" one.

4. mathewr macrumors 6502

Ive had a 2012 15 inch retina mbp ordered this week 13 inch pro. was debating between 13 and 15 not because of the power but because of the screen size as this is my only computer. i went with the 13 because i can always add a screen with minimal footprint. the 13 inch has more portability and cant make the 15 smaller.

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68040

It's more or less expected that a higher-performance CPU is going to require more cooling, etc. If your tasks don't require the performance, why spend the money?

I generally don't follow the reviews closely (so many new models, so little time), but I've read plenty over the years. Here's my take. If you want to know how the i7 performs, seek out reviews of the i7.

Issues like fans and throttling are common with high-performance CPUs - it's part of the engineering trade-offs in designing those systems. Reviewers who are looking at those models are thinking in terms of video production, gaming, etc. - uses that generate long-term, sustained compute activity. They know that people reading reviews of high-performance systems are particularly concerned about thermal performance - if it's not mentioned in the review, the review loses credibility.

In well-designed and well-manufactured products you shouldn't see "hit-or-miss" variability with thermal performance - it's far more likely to be isolated to the specific CPU and GPU configuration under test. In this case, if reviews of the i7 models don't show the same thermal issues as reviews of the i9, there's little reason to expect the i9's symptoms to show up in random samples of the i7-equipped units. Of course random defects still occur, but that's life.

6. Danando1993 macrumors regular

I got an i9 last week upgraded to Vega 20 graphics, no issues so far. Fans have only came on when playing a couple of games and when rendering on Revit. Perfect machine in the time I've used it, also don't get the fuss about the keyboard. Coming from a 2014 MacBook Pro, this is a refreshing change.