Buying the new Mac Pro from Apple make sense?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by psymac, Jan 9, 2008.

1. psymac macrumors 6502

I don't get it, why are so many of you buying thru Apple?

You can get the same system for MacMall with no tax (about $225) and free Parallels and printer (which you could ebay for about $125 if you don't need them). You can even save another $100 off the single cpu system.

In a couple of weeks or perhaps less, you can get the same system from Amazon for the same price, plus no tax (about $225) and maybe even a rebate (usually about $150).

Ok if you want or need to be an early adopter or need to do some high end BTO, but is it worth $350 for most of you?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

BTO is the main reason to buy from Apple. Specifically the 8800GT is very popular and can only be bought through Apple.

3. timestamp macrumors 6502

ADC discount for me. It beats any discount on the net hands down.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

First off, no tax in OR. Secondly, my machines are always BTO.

5. timestamp macrumors 6502

Hey! I am moving to Oregon in a few years... Wish I was there now so I can sav the $200+ in tax.

My Mac Pro is still cheap though!

6. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

Even if MacMall or Amazon doesn't collect state tax from you that doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a tax obligation - it depends on the state and the buyer's circumstances. In New York, for instance, on your income tax return you're required to report any internet purchases over $1,000 for which NYS sales tax wasn't paid.

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I had a pretty decent NAPP discount buying through Apple, and I wanted a few extras, so BTO was needed.

With tax, I ended up paying around $350-400 less anyway, so I'm really happy :)

-Bryan

8. astrostu macrumors 6502

Because of educational, government, and/or developer discounts, and also because of customization options. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

9. Norco macrumors regular

Holla, Oregon here too...enjoy no tax.

10. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Grew up in Ashland... went to U of O for a year too...

I work at New Line Cinema in Los Angeles so I get a TimeWarner discount of about 8%. I'll be ordering either a 2.8 or 3.0 online from work. I could go into an Apple store and show my pay stub and ID and get the discount too, but only if I get the 2.8.

11. peterjun macrumors member

Simple reason: didn't want to wait

Went to the mac store the day it was released with the basic option. Plan on upgrading it soon...

12. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

13. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Other places often have old models for ages, our "PC World" only just got Aluminium iMacs!

I also prefer to buy direct from the manufacturer when there is an option to do so as it's better support when things go wrong. I've had enough of:

Me: "It's broken!"
    Manufacturer: "Well you bought it from Tesco, it's Tesco's problem"
    Me to Tesco: "It's broken!"
    Tesco: "So? Go to the manufacturer"
    ad nauseum

14. Graphis macrumors member

I'm ordering mine from Computer Warehouse: there's a five week wait due to the 8800 card I ordered, but if I took one off the shelf I could have it today. It's cheaper than buying direct from Apple, all the extras are cheaper (Applecare at £149 instead of £199, Wireless Mouse £6.90 compared to Apple's £49, etc), and they throw in a free second drive. All the other retailers are cheaper than Apple, I've never bought any of my Macs direct from Apple. I can't see any advantage. The only thing I ever bought direct from the Apple Store was an iPod.

15. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

HE discount plus BTO, thats why ill order from apple (im waiting to see if new acd's come out first!)