buying the same iPod I just sold... ugh!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bighaugs, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Bighaugs Guest

It's been a frustrating week! Sure that we'd see a video camera and mic in the new touches, I decided to sell my 8GB 2nd gen iPod last weekend. I figured I'd be able to get more for it before the big announcement than after, when iPod prices would almost drop. So I sold my iPod, a Belkin silicone sleeve, and a clean screen protector through craigslist; I got $145 for it, which put me well on my way towards affording the new releases.

Needless to say, I was underwhelmed by the iPod event, for all the reasons people have rehearsed on these forums ad nauseum. No truly new features, no update for the 8GB touch, no 16 GB touch at all, etc., etc... What to do? Shell out $300 for 32GB I really didn't need? Wait a few months to see if the lower end of the touch line gets corresponding upgrades in processor speed? Or--hope beyond hope--the long-awaited thin, autofocus camera and microphone?

Instead, after much thought, I decided to go back to what I had. Yesterday, I put in an order for a refurbished touch through the online Apple Store. After buying some new screen protectors and a the same silicone sleeve I had before, I spent about $175--$30 more than I had sold the same stuff for a few days ago! Urghhhhhh...

It's not all bad, of course. I DO get a new battery in the officially refurbished iPod. $30 for a battery replacement seems reasonable to me. I'll be glad to have my precious portable computer solution back in hand.

(I should say this: I'm not at all angry with Apple for the disappointing iPod touch refresh; they never claimed that the rumors were true, after all. More frustrated with myself for jumping the gun.)

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Frustrating. I'm leaning towards the same route.

3. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

You also got a renewed warranty. But it still sucks

4. Bighaugs thread starter Guest

Yeah, that's true. And mine would've expired in November. Hmm... maybe this wasn't as bad a thing as I thought...

5. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Yeah. And you get all new stuff. Instead of paying for apple care for $60.

6. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

I am right there with you on this. I thought I was being smart and getting ahead of the game here, selling my touch a couple weeks back, just sure I would be impressed with the new touch. I think a good number of us are feeling the way you are right now and have learned a good lesson.