Carrier Buying the Verizon iPhone 6 off-contract on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Sep 15, 2014.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

Does anyone know if it'll be possible to buy a Verizon iPhone 6 off-contract from either the Verizon store or the Apple Store on Friday?

I've preordered a T-Mo iPhone 6 off-contract, but am considering going back to Verizon so I was planning on returning the T-Mo phone and buying a Verizon one instead since that'll work on T-Mobile's network for the time being until I switch back to Verizon.

2. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

You can order a Verizon one for delivery on 9/19 from Verizonwireless.com right now.

3. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I know, but it forces me to sign up for service with them when all I want is the device, nothing more. Was wondering if there was a way around this or if I should just plan on going to the Apple Store and queueing up with everyone else to try and get one... but will Apple even sell them as "device only" so I won't have to sign up for a plan? That's what's unclear.

4. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Since you say "going back to Verizon" I'll assume you're not a customer now -- if that's the case, the chances of the store selling you one at retail without having service are slim to none. Apple is a different story. Maybe yes, maybe no. I've read that Apple can, based on inventory deny to sell the device at full retail (will they, no clue, just what I've read, but I've also read that they will sell it at retail, so who knows).

The main reason I pre-ordered mine was because of the experience I had getting my 5S last year in store (Verizon) and paying retail -- it was like they just did not want to sell it to me, even with 4 other lines of service (2 of which were still under contract). They tried to talk me out of it at least 2 times, but ultimately ended up selling it to me - I wanted to avoid all of that, and just pre-ordered this time around.

After seeing you response, I'm about 100% sure that Verizon nor Apple will sell to you at full retail without having some level of service with them (Verizon). Never hurts to try however, I'd say the chance at Verizon however is zero.

5. Dreday24 macrumors regular

if you know somebody you can trust with a verizon account, then just buy it through their account.

6. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

7. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow, I just tried this and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately they aren't shipping until the 21st! I'm just gonna try my luck at the Apple Store this Friday since I don't want to have to deal with not having a phone for a month.

----------

Nope, not currently with Verizon. And yup, had the same experience last year as well with them. They suck.