Buying this week MB or MBP 13" both are the same price $999

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacbookWoo, Aug 25, 2009.

1. MacbookWoo macrumors member

Hey guys! I am brand new to this forum.... I have owned several different Macbooks in the past but never a unibody.... With that being said now is the time to make the switch..... However, I really need some help and have a few questions and for some reason every person I speak with at Apple just cannot tell me what I want to hear. The 2 links below are the 2 laptops I am debating over.

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (U.S.)

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

The first link is 1st Generation Unibody Macbook 13" 2.4 250GB HD $999

The second link is the 1st Generation MBP 13" 2.26 160GB $999

I mean everything points towards getting the Macbook because of faster processor and bigger HD... Can someone please tell me what the major differences are?

I know that the MBP has an internal battery and the MB has a battery that can be removed without having to take the laptop apart.

I would really like to know what your opinions are and I really value them. It seems like whenever I get anyone from Apple on the phone they just read the specs and that doesnt really help me out at all....

*** I REALLY APPRECIATE ANY REPLIES***

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The main differences are that the 1st Generation Unibody Macbook has no firewire, and the screen is not as good. Apart from that I think they're pretty much the same, except the .14Ghz which is negligible.

3. jglavin macrumors regular

The built-in battery on the MBP is rated to last much longer than the removable one in the MB.

4. MacbookWoo thread starter macrumors member

Both of these are very valid points....

What makes the screens different? I have heard about this... What exactly makes the screen better/different?

I appreciate the fast responses on this.... I plan on buying the Apple Care before the 1 year warranty is up but I would like to make the right decsion when I buy my computer.

5. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

They are better quality screens. Your best bet is to go with the MBP, really. It's the latest and greatest, not last generation, and comes with some much needed improvements! Don't delay!

6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

The screen is better because it uses a higher quality panel, on par with the 15". You can upgrade the HDD and RAM on your own if you want on either model with just about 10 screws, so it's not all that difficult. (I'm considering putting a 500gb in mine from a WD Passport) That said, if you use FireWire and SD cards a lot, get the MBP. If not, get the MB. Either way, the speed will be very minute. It may save you a couple of seconds on a large video encode but that's about it.

7. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Get the MBP and trade me for my 2.4 uMB. ;)

No really, advice is to get the MBP.

8. MacbookWoo thread starter macrumors member

Cool so I guess I have made my mind up and I am going to get the MBP, The best part is I work in education so I am going to take advantage of getting a FREE ipod Touch with my MBP!!!!!

So I figured it out with all of my total costs with my education discount.

MBP $1099 with my EDU discount
    Ipod touch $229
    Tax $92.96

Total Cost $1,420

After I sell the ipod touch (already have an iphone)and get the rebate for it My total cost for a brand new MBP = $990
    :apple::p:p:p:p:p:p

9. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Good luck getting $200 for the iPod touch. :p

10. MacbookWoo thread starter macrumors member

I am not worried about that....

11. akbc macrumors 6502

Are you getting a refurb or new one?

Your original post said refurb...

Refurbs don't get EDU discount or the iPod Touch.
    I'd make sure to double check on this issue.

12. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

In his last post he said it is $1099 for it. So I am sure he is going for the Brand new one instead...

13. MacbookWoo thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I mean to pay an extra $100 and be able to get a brand new machine just makes more sense to me.... I was planning on putting the ipod touch on craigslist as soon as I get it. Like I said I have no use for it because I have an iphone and an ipod nano....

Any other info that you guys can think of regarding this situation? I am curious to hear what anyone has to say about the 13" MBP??

The only thing I am just a tad bit skeptical on is the fact that this is Apple's very first 13" MBP anytime someone releases their 1st Gen on anything (car,phone,computer etc..etc..) Just one of those things that I have been weary about but I guess if I was willing to do so I have full faith in Apple.

14. akbc macrumors 6502

Well, for the unibodies alone, I moved from Unibody MBP 15" (2.53Ghz when they were first released) to MBA Rev. B SSD to my current MBP13" in my signature right now.

I was happy with all three actually... 15" for the size and nice screen, MBA for the portability and the speed of SSD and now the 13" MBP for the balance of having an actual ODD and stuff.

I have put some money towards upgrading my 13"MBP to 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM. So it's blazing fast now. And I'm very satisfied with the unit.

The SD Card comes in very handy too. If you're looking for a good balance between size, portability and power, 13" MBP is the machine.

I don't think you'll regret it.

15. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

16. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

17. MacbookWoo thread starter macrumors member

I love this forum!! I have made up my mind that I am going to go ahead and just buy a new MBP 13" I am assuming that it will come with the latest and greatest software and all of the discs and boxes since I am buying new.

I am not sure why the guy before said "Good Luck" with selling the ipod touch for $200 It retails for $229 + tax so I think $200 cash is a pretty damn good deal for that ipod touch but eithe way Ill put it on craigslist and it will be sold within hours....

I am very excited to order the computer I have been waiting for my unibody forever!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any experience with getting the rebate check from apple? Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get it back ETC ETC????

Also how much would it cost to upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 4GB??? I would do that myself I wouldnt buy that from apple.

:apple::apple:

18. christurbo macrumors regular

13" MBP without a doubt, I loved it. All the extra features make a huge difference.:cool:

19. macjay macrumors 6502

You may want to wait until at least Friday as the new OS should then be included in the box.

20. MacbookWoo thread starter macrumors member

Boy o Boy so I just got back from lunch and I went to my local best buy to just see the 13" and also make the buyers remorse go away LOL...

I have pretty much decided now that I will not be happy with the 13" it is so small compared to the 15" and I play a TON of online poker sometimes I have multiple tables running so I can completely see myself getting the 13" and regretting not getting the 15" So I have done the math on what it would actually cost me at the end of the day to own a NEW 15" MBP

15" MBP - COST $1599 W/ MY EDU DISCOUNT

$1599 - MBP
    $229 - IPOD TOUCH 8GB
    $128 - TAX

TOTAL COST ON MONDAY WHEN I GO TO BUY AT APPLE = $1955.00

AFTER I SELL THE IPOD TOUCH FOR $200 AND I GET A $229 REBATE I WILL GET $429 BACK

$1955.00
    -$429 = $1525 TOTAL COST OF MY 15" MBP.

USING THE SAME FORMULA ON THE MBP 13" MY COST WOULD ONLY BE $890 WHICH IS A SMOKING DEAL..... MAN APPLE REALLY MAKES YOU PAY FOR THAT BIGGER LAPTOP...

21. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

22. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

He was referring to going the 13" route.
    $1525 if he gets 15"
    $890 for the 13"