Buying Tips, Advice, HELP!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i1alian085, Nov 23, 2008.

1. i1alian085 macrumors member

So here's the scoop

I am a pc user - have had the same dell POS for 5 years now. It is an ok machine and lasted this long (im pretty good with computer)

You can imagine that I only have 80gb for a hard drive on this - and it's slow as anything.

SOOOOOO with that being said I am buying the new MBP. I have waited a long time for them to update it and I think it's amazing.

Here's the question.

Whichhhh do I buy and WHEN?

I do not edit movies - or pictures and what not, and I understand thats one of the main reasons to bump up to the 2.53 etc.

BUT I do want a really fast computer with plenty of space - and not to be pushed to the limits if I have aim - web browser - messanger applications - and maybe poker programs running.

Which configuration do you guys think I should get...the 2.4? 2.53? 250gb? 320gb?
    And black friday? Rumor i heard was they are giving another 100 off of the student discount - and throwing in an ipod touch.

let me know what you all think.

oh... and apple care? and if i buy the lower model mbp and upgrade the ram and hd on my own does it void the warranty???

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

With your projected use, a MacBook would suit your needs perfectly. No need to expend more unless you plan to do moderately heavy gaming, professional applications, or just want to pay that much more for a two-inch screen size gain.

The iPod deal has been over for months. It's only in the summer, only students can get it, and only students can get discounted computers.

No Black Friday anything.

Installing things yourself does not void the warrantee unless you break something while you're in there.

3. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

I think I just want the 15" screen, for movies and what not.

I am ok with paying a little more for it for the screen alone.

i was under the impression if i take out the ram and hd and replace it with aftermarket stuff that it voids the warranty.

what about apple care?

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

RAM and HardDrive are user replaceable so it cannot void your warranty, only thing is that some MBPros are a bit difficult with RAM so buy a known brand to avoid problems. Applecare can be purchased as long as your laptop is under its first year warranty so you don't have to hurry about it.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBP sounds a good choice if what you mainly need is an excellent screen in a portable computer. Applecare is also a good idea, but you can buy it at any time within the first year. Buy your extra RAM from a reputable source and you should be fine for several more years of enjoyable computing.

Cheers and good luck

6. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about the 2.53 ghz 4gb/320gb hd

but right now my computer is a dell inspiron 1150
    it is a 2.8ghz (i didnt know that)
    with only 512 ram and an 80 gb hard drive.

will the new mbp be SLOWER?

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Are you sure it's 5 years-old? That's pretty quick for that age.

8. MBPDiva macrumors regular

^^^^ What Tallest Skil1 said. If you're not gaming or editing pictures why waste the money buying a fast machine? I would get the macbook 2.4, 250G HD and be happy with it. You can always upgrade your RAM and HD later. Btw, I'm a happy dual PC/Mac owner myself. Both platforms have their benefits. For me, the Windows apps win hands down over Apple apps but I love the ease of use with the Mac. :)

9. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

I was getting the 2.53 as sort of a treat for myself.

but will the 2.4 be a good machine?

and how fast can i actually make it if i decide to expain later?