Buying to Return

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LaughingAtYou, Mar 17, 2011.

1. LaughingAtYou macrumors newbie

I hate to do this, but I will be buying a macbook pro only to return it after a week.

I will be buying 2 apple gift cards from Craigslist at a discount. However, because Craigslist is shady, I have to protect myself from scams so I will be purchasing a macbook pro and then returning it.

Why would I do that? Because I'm waiting for the new iMacs to release. If the seller decides to use the cards during this period, I would be screwed. Sadly Apple loses money in this situation.

What would you guys do?

2. mkngrm, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

mkngrm macrumors newbie

I would sell the gift cards for full price.

Edit: Why are you even asking? If you've read any other thread about this you'll know what everyone is going to tell you.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the apple gift cards are purchased with a stolen credit card, you will lose the money. simply buying a mac and returning it will not guarantee safety of your money.

Most likely the gift cards are either stolen or purchased with stolen credit cards. Don't go there.

4. LaughingAtYou thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow didn't think of that..

5. LaughingAtYou thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Chill out, bro.

I guess I'm feeling sorry to Apple, but I can't really apologize to Apple.

6. mkngrm macrumors newbie

I'm chill, bro.

I'm just saying that there are quite a few of these threads around. It probably would have been better if you asked about the risks of buying gift cards from Craigslist as opposed to asking people's opinion on buying a computer and returning it a week later.

7. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I'm very glad you brought up this point. I was thinking of buying some of the gift cards people are selling on craigslist and didn't even consider that they could've been bought with a stolen credit card and essentially be worthless.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

There have been threads where scammers buy iTunes gift cards with stolen CC, then resell on eBay/Craigslist. When the purchaser buys the iTunes gift card then redeems it on their iTunes account, and later Apple finds out the gift cards were invalid the purchaser had their iTunes account locked.

9. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

If the cards are legit...

why not just buy a couple of ipad 2's and sell them? you're not harming apple, and you should get the full price for the ipads...

10. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I just find this thread amusing considering the OP's moniker.

11. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. I'd steer clear all together. Or at least buy on ebay where you have some sort of recourse if something goes awry.

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

You said it yourself. If you smell shadiness just stay away. Why get caught up in that crap?

13. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

If it's too good to be true then it probably is. Stay away.

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Chances are, the cards aren't legit. What possible motivation would someone have for selling something like that at less than what they paid for it?

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

They are selling the cards for MORE than they paid for it, considering they probably paid nothing for the cards.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Dunno about you, but Apple/Walmart/Lowes gift card money isn't as versatile as the green thin paper strips that everyone seems to obsess about .

I've sold giftcards at a discount before, particularly ones i've won or perhaps were given as compensation for a warranty repair by a retailer etc etc.

17. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah I guess it depends on what discount the cards are. If its like a 500 gift card for 250, then it is probably a scam. But if it is a 500 gift care for like 450-470ish, it is probably for real?

18. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

You are risking $450 for a $50 gain.

all I can say is, it's not worth the hassle.

19. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

20. xxplosive1984 macrumors regular

lol