buying two iphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan88, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ryan88 macrumors newbie

hi, im a noob when it comes to iphones, and have a few questions regarding purchasing the new iphone 3GS.

here's my situation. both my wife and myself have "regular" phones that are both eligible for qualified upgrades. im wondering what is the best way to purchase iphones for the both us. att.com, apple.com, in store? i can't seem to figure out upgrading two phones on att.com, so i'm not even sure its possible.

also, if we want to keep the cheapest family rate plan (550 minutes), am i correct in thinking that it will be $59.99 + $30 + $30? no other iphone charges?

thanks in advance for your help!

ryan

2. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I think the best thing to do is, to go in-store and buy, don't think you can do family plan on Apple.com. If your pre-order you can get it before the store opens to the public at 7 am

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm getting two of them as well. I had to go into the AT&T store to make it happen, they won't do it online at either the AT&T store or the Apple store. Although one AT&T rep that I talked to said that worst case I could order two separate single-user phones and that he could put them onto a single family plan prior to activation. That seemed like more hassle than it was worth though.

As for the plan amount, the brochure I got at the AT&T store made no mention of the 500 minute plan. The cheapest plan they have listed is the 700 minute plan. I'm planning on asking for the 500 minute plan, as that's all we really need; but I'm not sure if that's available for the iPhone or not. You are correct about each phone needing a data plan, however.

4. Redwood macrumors newbie

I tried pre ordering 2 iphones last night on att web site and it would not let me for some reason, so instead, I just went to the att store today and pre ordered them. Every thing went smooth at the store. Only thing though is I had to pre order and pay for them separate for me and my wife. The guy at the counter also told me that both me and my wife have to show up to pick them up on June 19. Just one iphone per body is what he said.

I also asked him about the rate plans as I wanted to keep my same plan. He said that I could keep my same plan, only thing is I will have to add the data plan for each phone, $30 for each phone, so I will be adding $60 a month to my current rate plan. Text mssging is optional if u want it.

Pre Ordered: 1 Black and 1 White 16 gig version 3Gs :D

5. ryan88 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone for your help. i was able to order two last night on the premier site (discount from my university). it let me begin my upgrade, and add my wife's phone later on.

so are these shipping to my home, or to the att store? i'm assuming my home, and i bring it in on the 19th and stand in line one to activate?