Buying two new computers - need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Legolover64, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Legolover64 macrumors regular

Hey all,

First and foremost, above all, I don't know if discussion of "hackintoshes" and "osx86" is "officially" allowed here or not, but I have seen other people talk about them in this forum. I own a Family Pack of Leopard, with only two lisences used, and I fully intend to purchase a Family Pack of Snow Leopard when it is released. I feel that compensating Apple for their software is not only legally right, it is morally right, for they have put a considerable amount of work into a phenomenal OS.

Anyways, here's the deal:

I currently own a Macbook Pro. I got it mid July of 2007 and it's a phenomenal computer. I bought AppleCare (I'm sort of a cheapskate when it comes to warranties, but holy cow, BUY APPLECARE for laptops) so it is still under warranty. Today, unfortunately, I have to take my computer in for service. It has a bad screen that's going south, a faulty logic board (kernel panics all the time) and a keyboard that goes in-and-out. However, I am a college student (studying computer science) so it's a little bit of a pain in the butt for me to lose my computer for several days because Apple needs to switch out parts that seem to be going defective. After this next repair, nearly every component in my computer will have been switched out twice, some more than that.

I'm tired of it.

The closest Apple Store is an hour-and-a-half bus ride away from campus, so going there is a rare opportunity. Furthermore, I am increasingly realizing that by trying to use my computer to be "both" a laptop and a desktop, it's sort of being neither. It's too unportable, clunky, big and downright power mongering to be an appropriate laptop (2 hour battery, flaky wireless) and it doesn't have all the capabilities of a desktop (no ability to connect to multiple external displays nor a well-endowed set of ports). For all wondering, I use my computer with an external 24" display. It's a SAMSUNG running at 1920x1200 and I use it primarily so I can view all my code windows at the same time. However, I am running out of room on this display, as I cannot fit all of my code and project information even with the MBP screen and the SAMSUNG screen in a dual-monitor setup.

I recently came up with a great solution to this dilemma:
    Instead of one laptop, go with a very portable laptop, and a hardcore desktop! This way, when I'm on the road and mobile, my computer is very small and compact and easy to pick up and go. When I get home, I plug the laptop in and then use my big desktop to do more serious work.

Now, which computers do I get?

An ultraportable Mac does not exist. The thing I care about is footprint, not thinness, so the MacBook Air is out of the question. I have recently taken a look at ASUS's netbook offerings from CES, namely the T101H. Here's someone else's photo of a T101H:

http://flickr.com/photos/13815526@N02/3180154623/

It's a tablet, netbook, and has an awesome pretty-big-looking chiclet keyboard. Sounds great! Does anyone think that OSX86 will run on this computer without much fuss? If not, what's a good Linux distribution that works well with tablets and netbooks? I've looked into KDE as a possible window manager.

As far as a desktop, things get more complicated. I want expandability and upgrade potential, as well as a more serious-powered processor and GPU, so the iMac and (sadly unupdated for quite some time) and Mac Mini are out of the question for me. After looking into the mac pro, a phenomenal looking workstation, I quickly discovered that it is way outside of my price range. Like I said, I am a college student, so finding money for computer equipment (versus being in high school) is much more difficult. I then started looking into non-Apple hardware. I am very interested in (and will probably end up purchasing) the Intel Core i7 Nehalem processors. They seem to be fast, and reasonably overclock-ready (although that whole process scares me :)). I have looked around at several motherboards at NewEgg, not really knowing what to buy. I am thinking about buying this computer this summer, so I'm sure the computer market will change. Does anyone know how much things will change over the next, say, 4 or 5 months? Does anyone have experience with an i7 Hackintosh? Is there a good motherboard manufacturer and good videocard manufacturer someone can recommend?

If anyone can lend any advice, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Legolover64

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I'll keep this short. Since you already own the licenses what you want to do isnt illegal, however it isnt legal too as it would be breaking Apples EULA, which isn't legal enforcable so it doesn't really matter. Confusing? Yeah I know, its because theres an ongoing court case but lets not go into that.

Oh if you live anywhere other than the US you can forget what I wrote above and not worry about the law.

Now onto the Notebook, that Asus would be easy to hackintosh, im not going to tell you how though or i'll get told off.

The i7 desktop is possible to hackintosh, but as you dont seem to know a lot about doing it, its going to be very very very very hard for you. I'd stick with a Core 2 Duo based computer.

I'd stick with video cards Apple use if you dont want driver issues later on.

I hope your comfortable with using torrents and burning DVD ISO's

Kalyway, iAtkos, Vanilla, X86 and Google are all I can tell you.