Buying US iPad for use in UK?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Broric, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Broric macrumors regular

I'm travelling to the US next week (for the first time) and wondered if a) I can walk into an Apple Store and pick up an iPad and b) what issues will I have?

I assume I can charge via USB (or use my iphone mains to USB charger)?

Are there any other compatibility issues? As it's an onscreen keyboard I assume I can change the layout to a UK one?

Also will I have problems with customs or a large customs charge to pay? In theory it'd be quite a saving on the (assumed) UK prices but is it worth the hassle?

Cheers

2. Broric thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to add, if I wait until the UK release I should be able to get the educational discount (assuming there is one) as I work at a University.

3. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

You won't really have any issues, although there has been a bit of a debate here regarding the warranty and whether it is valid worldwide.
    You will also need a US iTunes account (for now) to get the full benefit of the App Store.

As for Educational Discount, I believe that it isn't an option, at least for now.

4. robstock macrumors newbie

I bought on Ipad on Saturday when I was in New York. I just went straight into the Manhattan Store at around 5PM and got one straight off the shelf. I have had no compatibility issues with it at all, except the fact I have had to create a US Itunes account as the UK App store is not up yet. Also the UK I Phone adaptor I use to charge it seems to take ages to fully charge it. Other than that no problems at all with it.

5. Broric thread starter macrumors regular

How would I go about creating a US itunes account?

6. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I would advise you to google it, there are loads of guides out there -you will need a "US address" though ;)

7. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

I will be picking one up from the US (Boston) next week, and bringing it back to the UK for use.

A quick question (which might also be relevant to Broric too).

Say I got it home and discovered a problem, or some dead pixels, will I simply be able to walk into a UK Apple store and exchange the faulty/not up to scratch one for a brand new UK one?

What about Apple's 14 day return policy? if I had cause to want to return it for whatever reason (Apple, I believe have a no quibble, any reason return policy within 14 days), any idea what would happen if I walked into a UK Apple store and said I would like to return this?

Would they say something like "certainly sir, the next flight to Boston is at 2pm" :)

8. McMack macrumors member

I'm puzzled by the suggestion here that a UK iPhone mains charger can be used on a US iPad with no problems at all. Is that really true, or a piece of playful whimsy on your part? Have I been reading up on voltage converters for nothing? Or did you just mean regular computer-to-iPad USB charging?

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

No voltage convert necessary because the us adapter is rated 100-240V. You just need a plug adapter. Also you need to pay 17.5% VAT when
    you bring it back to the UK unless there is some way around that.

10. RealaT macrumors regular

I bought myself a 16gb iPad on eBay and got it shipped to the UK so i'll add my experiences.

Charger is easy to modify for UK use, simply remove the UK plug section from any other Apple charger and connect it to the iPad charger.

I used a google search to find out how to get a US account and it worked at first but today I found out it has been disabled (probably a dodgy iTunes voucher from eBay is the culprit there)

When you are signed into your UK iTunes account on the iPad you cannot currently access the App Store. However on the desktop iTunes store you can now purchase iPad apps. They're not all there but plenty to keep you going until the full UK App Store goes live.

11. Canedrive macrumors member

This is a deal-breaker for me, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer.

If my brother flies in from New York with an iPad in his luggage, what's the chances of him getting charged the extra vat?

If he says it's his own what can they do?? :confused:

He's a US citizen by the way.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

The warranty will be valid.

When I used to live in Canada, I bought a MacBook in the U.S., and had it warranty-serviced in Canada and then, after I moved to Los Angeles, I had it warranty-serviced in the U.S.

No issues whatsoever.

13. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

@Canedrive, Does the person bringing it back have any iTunes stuff? Music, Apps, TV Series? if he makes it looks used it should be fine ;)

14. Canedrive macrumors member

I'll have to have a chat with him to see what we can come up with. Cheers... :cool:

15. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

warranty

I have been reading about the warranty on the iPad if you bought in the US.

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards. In accordance with applicable law, Apple may require that you furnish proof of purchase details and/or comply with registration requirements before receiving warranty service."
    Quoted from Apple.com

I was also told today that if say the iPad broke then it would have to be returned to the country it was purchased, same as the iPhone.

These machines are not, or so it looks like, to be classed the same as a laptop or iPod when it comes to warranty.

Not sure what to believe now, i was going to buy one in Vegas this May.

16. Spaced Cowboy macrumors newbie

I asked the manager of the 5th Avenue store in NYC and he said my warranty would be worldwide, but obviously they wouldn't be able to fix it until it was released in the UK.

17. robstock macrumors newbie

When I came back to the uk I just walked through with the iPad in my hand luggage, so didn't pay any vat. Not saying everybody will have the same experience. When I asked about warranty the sales guy said at the moment the warranty is for the USA only. He said this may change when the iPad is released in the uk. I guess this is the risk you take when you buy electronic equipment abroad guys. I was just impatient and had to get one lol.

18. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Decisions, decisions!

If the price difference is big enough I might wait to get it in Vegas. If not then I'll be in the queue at Liverpool.

19. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

What's the rule about bringing in gifts to UK? I know you can bring into the US a certain dollar value of goods either as gifts or personal exemption without paying a duty(tariff) but I don't know the laws of UK.

If your brother is a US citizen he won't get charged VAT as long as he says its his and he is bringing it back with him.

20. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

He should also get a case as well and hide all the documents that are included with the iPad as he obviously won't be able to bring them over in the box lol.

Although for an additional 17.5% it does seem a bit much :)

21. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Re vat. If it cost less than £380 then it's vat free for personal use. Hence only 16gb wifi otherwise risk of customs...

22. spiralz macrumors member

i believe if you look on customs and excise website, you can bring a portable electronic device (aka ipad / iphone etc...) to value of around £350 (16gb wifi then:rolleyes:) / cant remember the exact amount.

provided it was purchased by you and is for your own use.. + all the usual blurb..... yada yada.......

spoke to mk apple store regards waranty - guy there said once it's launched worlwide u will have no issues with the warranty.

have fun.

23. Justin122 macrumors 6502

I'm going to America in August, and I'm going to buy an iPad out there with a few accessories. I've never heard of having to pay VAT on your return to the original country. I'm also going to bring some clothes back and a couple of other items. Can someone please give me more information about this?

24. spiralz macrumors member

dont worry for personal use you will be fine, just dont try n bring back 10+ :D

25. badgerman macrumors 6502a