Buying Used 2nd Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 4tran4, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 4tran4 macrumors newbie

Daughter is getting the new MBA for college and I'd like to have a Lion machine in the house to be able to help her with issues..and just to have one. It doesn't have to be a powerhouse. I have other computers.

I'm an Apple guy from way back (1986 Mac Plus) but have been building PC's since Windows 3.2.

I've been reading quite a bit of this forum and it looks like my best and cheapest option would be finding a used Core 2 duo mini with snow leopard for about $350.

I have the room and $ for more if there is something that is a better value.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Check "completed listings" on ebay to find out what ppl are getting for c2d minis these days. I might be selling a g4 mini but I think we'll be holding on to all our c2d minis. If we replace one with a MBP or iMac, it will get sent to the family room as a boxee box.

Perhaps you can get a refurb from Apple and save a bit but get a newer model.

3. FrankHahn, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The Mac Mini will be updated in any time. Hence, wait for the new Mac Mini if you are going to get one.

We have similar Mac experiences. I had a Mac Plus as my first computer in 1987. I then bought a Powerbook 140 in 1992 and another desktop in 1995. I then turned to compatibles with the Windows OS. I have now come back to the Macs. I now have a 2010 Mac Pro (at work) and a 2010 MacBook Air 13.3" (on the go).

4. jim4spam macrumors member

on craiglist, I've seen a couple of people selling macbooks (core 2 duo) with no battery because the battery swelled, and it's not worth investing the 130bucks for a new battery. this was interesting to me as it's my case too. I ended up keeping my batteryless macbook connected to my TV as a media streamer.

but for your needs - this kind of batteryless macbook could be all you need too and maybe cheaper than a mini if you get the right seller. just a thought.

5. 4tran4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for your replies. Great suggestions especially the battery-less macbook.

Thanks again.

6. applegeek13 macrumors regular

Mac of All Trades has good deals on Intel macs. Plus you can add a warranty if you feel you must. If I were in your position, I'd buy an iMac with decent specs. Doesn't have to be great, but I wouldn't want to need to upgrade for a few years.