Buying Used Cable Modem: Do They Wear Down?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
I'm going to buy a used cable modem, most likely this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys...-Modem/dp/B00005T6GZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If I purchase a modem in "like new" condition that has been used for several years, is it likely to continue working well for several years? Or do modems wear down like hard drives so that after a few years, they may die soon?
That particular Linksys model is old and is not DOCSIS 3 compatible, which many ISPs will require. You should check with your ISP to see if they have a list of models they recommend.
I would stay with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0/

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Oh, weird. Earlier I thought it was. RCN provides a list of supported modems, and their customer support said while other modems may work, they will be more difficult. None of the modems on the list are DOCSIS 3.0, though. At the same time, they admitted I need 3.0 for higher speeds. Thoughts?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Oh, weird. Earlier I thought it was. RCN provides a list of supported modems, and their customer support said while other modems may work, they will be more difficult. None of the modems on the list are DOCSIS 3.0, though. At the same time, they admitted I need 3.0 for higher speeds. Thoughts?
I use RCN and have the SB6121. Works fine. You do want a 3.0 modem even if you have the basic tier, because it gives you access to more channels which will make the connection a bit more resilient if your neighborhood has high network traffic.

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
In many areas Comcast is not allowing new DOCSIS 2.0 modems to be activated-any new modems must be DOCSIS 3.0. I found this out when lightning destroyed my old SB6151.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.