Buying Used Computers - What do you look for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ManhattanPrjct, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

We all know we pay a premium for Apple products - so traditionally I like to sell whatever I am using (iPod, laptop, displays), not long after I get a new version to get defray the cost of the upgrade. I've had a great advantage with this system since I've lived in big cities with an active craigslist community.

However, after buying used and refurbished photography equipment for a while, maybe I should be the one looking for deals on new(ish) equipment. I'm a little squeamish about buying a used machine, especially since your evaluative time can be quite short ("here it is, check it out...so, do you want it?").

So, if you do this a lot, what do you look for? I've seen people do the following:

1. Check for bad pixels
    2. Run an Apple Hardware test
    3. I once stopped somebody with a screwdriver from inspecting my PowerBook's innards

I'd be keeping my 500GB HDD, so that's not really a concern. Any thoughts/advice?

2. the vj macrumors 6502a

Usually with apple products I check the system profile and that is it.

I am used to buy used powerbooks and never had a problem. If I am going to buy something is because I need it for certain use and if the computer cover those aspects for me is ok, specially with Macs.

Macs work or not, but they are no lemon.