Buying used G5 dual 2.0GHz, what to look out for?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chevychase, Jan 13, 2009.

1. chevychase macrumors member

chevychase

I'm going to look at a G5 dual core 2.0GHz mac and would like to be able to run a hardware test on it before I buy it at least. The seller doesn't have the original installer CD's. What else can I do to check the system out before I buy it?

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

If your asking on how to do it:

All you'll need is the system discs, i think its usually on disc one with the OS installer. Just boot the computer insert the disc, restart and hold the option key down while the computer boots. Once you get the gray screen with the buttons on it [if booted correctly, you should have your OS, the OS X installer disc, and the Hardware Test].

All you should have to do is boot the Hardware Test. Click on that button. Once, up and running you will have the option to do the Quick Test, or the Long Test.

3. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

Thanks, but the seller doesn't have the original disks.

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

If he still has AppleCare, you can download TechTool Deluxe from Apple, but he has to have active AppleCare [which i think he might not].

5. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

Does TechTool Deluxe run the necessary hardware tests such as the Hardware Test CD or is it more of a hard drive utility?

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Its by another company, but its Diagnostic Software, which should do the same thing.

It was from this Apple Discussion.

7. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

Unfortunately I'll be meeting the seller in about an hour, so if he doesn't have it... Anyways I would hate to play with it for 5 or 10 minutes and think everything is OK and wind up with a computer with issues.

Any other suggestions on what I can/should check?????

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

If it powers up, and seems to be running good, it should be fine.

I would just double check the inside of the tower while its running, the exterior, amount of RAM installed, does it have any AppleCare left, if its liquid cooled [have there been any leaks?]. You could also check the About This Mac, More Info, Hardware> Diagnostics. See if it passed the Self Test on boot.

The original G5's had bad power supply issues, but this is a later model, so it shouldn't have the same issue. My older Dual 1.8, didn't have this issue, so you should be fine.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I would want to know that it didn't have the dreaded 'random shutdown' issue.

In system preferences, make sure the processor performance is set to 'highest'. Then fire up Quicktime, iTunes, Garageband, and Safari. These have always been the triggers for me.

Or.. .you could just ask him.:)

10. chevychase thread starter macrumors member

chevychase

11. TheG3Guy macrumors member

TheG3Guy

Im on a dual 2ghz right now....great computer it just has a bad rap