Buying used iMac 27" (2015). Price?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ikite, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ikite macrumors newbie

Where I live, the current iMac 27" (3,2 GHz Intel Core i5) costs new converted $2250. An aquaintance is selling his (from 2015) for currently $1800. I think it's still way too expensive and I would want to make a bid of $1350. Would that be a fair price? The guy is about to travel the world selling all his belongings... I think I could make a lowball offer. I have been considering buying the new iMac 21,5" but if I can get this one for a reasonable price I'd go for the bigger one. But what is a reasonable price? I have no comparison here because there is no market for 2nd hand iMacs.

2. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

You can try. Don't be surprised if he tells you no though.

3. bbnck, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

bbnck macrumors 6502

If you're considering buying a new Mac, I would suggest waiting until after Thursday to see if Apple releases new iMacs at their event. If he accepts your offer at $1,350 then you're getting a very good deal, but I guess his decision might be influenced by how quickly he wants to get rid of his iMac. If you are instead asking this question on an ethical standpoint, then that's something only you can decide on. If he knows he could get more than $1,350 but decides to accept your offer because he wants to sell his iMac as quickly as possible, then I wouldn't consider that to be a problem. It's a low offer for a second-hand Mac, but I wouldn't consider it offensively low.

Let us know how it goes :)

4. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

If that has the base graphics option it's going to lag. I had one until I unloaded it off to some Craigslist buyer.

And if it has an HDD, you're cruisin' for a bruisin.

You'll want to be careful that by trying to save money, you don't end up wasting all of your money.