Buying used iMac -- Desired Specs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by garycurtis, Aug 13, 2011.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

a few questions on a 3-year old iMac. Owner is a Windoze person and doesn't understand Macs, thus can't understand specs. I'm retired and do no gaming.

a) Whats the difference between a Dual Core or 2 Dual Core processor? Does it matter much? Is this speed related only?

b) On my own, can I swap drives? And are they ATA or SATA?

c) Link to ext HD for backup? Firewire 800, 400 or SATA?

d) Can additional memory be installed by owner?

e) Do iMacs have a fan for cooling?

f) Are there spare slots (PC, PCI or whatever) ?

2. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

I assume this would be a 2008 Model.

a) Intel Core Duo and Intel Core 2 Duo (Not 2 dual core) are the processor names of Intel's old line of CPUs. I suggest getting the iMac with a Core 2 Duo. It's more recent than the Intel Core Duo.

b) It's not recommended for you to swap out the HD. I suggest getting someone with Mac experience to attempt to change the HD if they 100% know how to if possible. (I am not sure if iMacs made in 2008 can be user replaceable)

c) Yes. You can hooup your external HD to your iMac via Firewire 400, 800 or USB 2.0. If you wish to use this HD between your Mac and Windows, format the drive as FAT32. If you wish to use it only with your Mac, format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

d) Memory is user replaceable on the iMac. Check this video for a tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-m7j002fA

e) Yes iMacs have fans for cooling. All Computers need cooling in order to be run, or else they would overheat. Adding cooling to the internal system is not user replaceable, but you can check the temperature of the iMac with iStat Pro: http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

f) There is no extra IO/expansion cards on the iMac. However, you can add USB hubs or adapters for extra functionality.