Buying used iMac. It's unregistered....what next?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by talkinghead, Sep 24, 2010.

1. talkinghead macrumors member

talkinghead

I have been looking on C/L for an iMac and found several. However, some say they don't have a receipt. When I plug in the S/N on Apple Support, is says "unregistered, please submit proof of purchase". I'm not about to support the local theives, however, is this unusual, or are these hot off of someones car seat? :(
    If it is legit, and the seller just never registered and doesn't have a receipt, is there any way to register it? :confused:

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Brand-new in-box iMac without a receipt is a sure sign of stolen.

3. talkinghead thread starter macrumors member

talkinghead

No, I didn't mean to say new, these are late 2009 or early 2010 units that I have seen. They still should be covered by Apple care so I could extend the warranty.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I would avoid any Mac that is not registered. Registration is the only way to determine how much time is left under warranty. Better to be safe than sorry. I would only consider a Used one if it came from Apple directly or has been registered. No receipt doesn't bother me too much. I sold a MB on eBay without a receipt but actually volunteer the serial number so the buyer would know how much time is left under warranty and would also know exactly what he was getting.

5. talkinghead thread starter macrumors member

talkinghead

I agree, I just bought a used MB for my son off C/L with no receipt and there was no problem because it was already registered. humpf!