buying used iMac, what to look for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EasyRider, Nov 7, 2009.

1. EasyRider macrumors regular

EasyRider

Is there anything to check when buying a used iMac that does not have a warranty?

I am looking at possibly buying a used 3.06 24" iMac with the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 card.

Never bought a used iMac before, just would like to know if there are any tips on checking one out?

2. djpic macrumors member

I would look at the physical appearance. Does it look beat up? Are there scratches on the screen? The only thing you can really check is the physical appearance of the computer. If it doesn't look beat up or heavily used, then it should be fine. BUT with computers, you have no idea the status of the hard drive, RAM, Processor. That kind of stuff is impossible to check without knowing the run time and environment variables.

Personally, I don't see the point in buying used computers speciality ones that do not have a warranty. Sure they are cheaper but that just puts you even further behind the curve.

3. boston44 macrumors 6502

As well as the physical aspects of the computer, check and see if he has the sales receipt, original box, and the warranty on the machine.