Buying used iphone 2G to use as fancy ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by suzy2008, Jul 13, 2008.

1. suzy2008 macrumors newbie

First I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked and couldn't find a good enough answer. This question is for my dad. He's looking to buy a used iphone 2G to use for WIFI calls and pretty much as an ipod touch.

The big question is can he do this without activating the iphone? And can he upgrade to 2.0 without activating it?

Thanks!
    Suzy

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

At the moment, he can't upgrade to 2.0

But yes, he can buy a phone with 1.1.4 and he doesn't have to activate it.

Shortly though, 2.0 will be unlocked and jailbroken, so even if you get an iPhone with 2.0, he can use it for what he wants. Soon.

3. cptmurphy macrumors newbie

I guess the next question is, what do i do with the i-phone when I get it? Should I reset it to factory settings? I just picked up an 8Gig iphone 2G with version 2.1 software from a friend of mine. I have no intention of using it as a phone. It will be my wifi travel computer and ipod only. I'd like to reset it or at least errase everything on it before sync with my Itunes. The manual says I need to activate it before I can use any of the features. If I reset it to factory settings will that force me to activate it again to use it as an ipod?
    Thanks for all your help.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Jailbreak it with QuickPwn and you will have a fully working iPhone without the phone part.

5. Shawn D macrumors regular

WOW talk about bringing this thread back from the dead :p

6. cptmurphy macrumors newbie

I am in my 50's... Is this jailbreak easy to do or am I going to screw it up? I am definitely computer literate, but not mac or ipod literate? Thanks again for your advice.

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You can always watch videos on youtube to learn how to do it.